Pitt Community College Law Enforcement Training Division
Lesson Purpose: The purpose of this block of instruction is to explain the roles and responsibilities of the armed or unarmed security guard or private investigator, as well as the territorial and subject matter jurisdiction of a company police officer.
Training Objectives: At the end of this block of instruction, the student will be able to perform the following objectives in accordance with the information received during the instructional period:
1. Discuss the authority of an armed and unarmed security guard and their documentation and uniform requirements.
2. Discuss the authority of a “Private Investigator” in the performance of their duties and the provisions under which they may carry a firearm.
3. Discuss the carrying of a firearm on educational property (public school or private school) by a security guard or private investigator.
4. Identify the only authorized North Carolina private investigator badge and how it is to be carried and/or displayed.
5. Define “proprietary” security versus “contract” security.
6. List the charges a law enforcement officer can levy for violations of N.C. General Statute § 74C and/or any unlicensed security or private investigative activity.
7. Discuss the jurisdictional authority of a company police officer.
Hours/Credits: Two (2)
Instructional Method: Lecture, Discussion
Location: PCC Law Enforcement Training Facility, 2096 Central Park Drive, Winterville, NC 28590
Instructor: Amy Vaughan
Time: 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
|| Pitt Community College Law Enforcement Training Division