Moonbox Productions is excited to be holding Auditions for PASSING STRANGE.
Book and Lyrics by Stew, Music and Orchestrations by Heidi Rodewald and Stew. Created in collaboration with director Annie Dorsen.
May 26th - 7pm - 10pm
May 27th - 5pm - 10pm
June 3rd - 5pm - 10pm
650 E. Kendall st.
Cambridge, MA 02142
Director: Arthur Gomez
Music Director: David Coleman
First Rehearsal: March 23rd
Tech Begins: May 4th
First Preview: May 9th
Opening: May 11th
Closing: May 30th
"Passing Strange," a daring musical from singer-songwriter and performance artist Stew that takes the audience on a journey across boundaries of place, identity, and theatrical convention. Stew brings the story of a young bohemian who charts a course for "the real" through sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll. Loaded with soulful lyrics and overflowing with passion, the show takes the audience from black middle-class America to Amsterdam, Berlin, and beyond on a journey towards personal and artistic authenticity.
As the creator Stew says: "It's...about the costs of being a young artist. It's a 46-year-old guy looking back at the things that he did and the values he had in his 20s, sort of when you're making that decision to really be an artist...”
Narrator - 40’s - 60’s, Black, male-identifying, guitar skills a plus
The teller of the Youth's story through song and speech
Youth - 18 - 20’s, Black, male-identifying, guitar skills a plus
The young African-American protagonist from South Central Los Angeles
Mother - 30’s - 50’s, Black, female-identifying
The Youth's single parent
Marianna/ Edwina Williams/ Sudabey - 20’s - 30’s, Actor of Color, Female-identifying
- Marianna - A "neo-hippie" from Amsterdam
- Edwina Williams - an attractive girl in the church choir; a "teenage goddess"
- Sudabey - A member of Nowhaus and an avant-garde filmmaker
Mr. Franklin Jones/ Joop/ Mr. Venus* - 20’s - 30’s, Actor of Color, any gender, non-binary preferred
- Mr. Franklin Jones - The closeted gay son of Reverend Jones; church pianist and choir director
- Joop - A friend of Marianna's and a naturist
- Mr. Venus - A flamboyant protest artist from West Berlin
Desi/ Renata Holiday/ Sherry - 20’s - 30’s, Actor of Color, Female-identifying
- Desi - A Marxist revolutionary from West Berlin and leader of Nowhaus
- Renata Holiday - A friend of Marianna's and an abstract artist
- Sherry - a member of the Youth's punk rock trio
Terry/ Reverend Jones/ Christophe/ Hugo/ Terry - 20’s - 30’s, Actor of Color, Male-identifying
- Reverend Jones - The leader of Mother's church congregation
- Christophe - A friend of Marianna's and a philosophy professor and sex worker
- Hugo - A member of Nowhaus and Desi's ex-boyfriend
- Terry - a member of the Youth's punk rock trio
* must be comfortable with partial nudity
To audition: use this for to sign up for an audition slot!
Video submissions will be accepted anytime up to May 27th, 5pm. Send video submissions to [email protected], with subject line “Passing Strange”
What to Prepare:
- Please bring a copy of your Headshot and Resume
- Prepare a 16-32 bar cut in the style
|| sharman altshuler