Prince of Peace Catholic Parish
Prince of Peace Catholic Parish’s community outreach ministry to feed the homeless one Sunday per month at Church of the Reconciler.
Please feel free to sign up for more than one volunteer slot. For example, if you want to provide a tray of food AND help with serving the meal to the homeless, sign up for each of these volunteer slots; OR if you want to provide 2 trays of food, sign up for 2 volunteer slots.
PLEASE LABEL FOOD DROPPED OFF AT THE KITCHEN WITH YOUR NAME. Thank you!
THANK YOU for your willingness to serve and/or prepare food for the Church of the Reconciler. This effort by your family to share your gifts and talents is an incredible witness to your faith and service to all God’s people. Feeding the Hungry is one of the seven Corporal Works of Mercy which are found in the teachings of Jesus. They give us a model as to how we should treat all others, as if they were Christ in disguise. “As you did it to one of these, the least of my brethren, you did it to me” (Matthew 25:40).
To help make this service and hospitality ministry to the hungry more meaningful for you and your children, we have a few tips.
- Talk with your children about those that are homeless and less fortunate before you serve at the Church of the Reconciler. Prepare them for what they will see without scaring them or casting homelessness in a negative light.
- Include your children in the preparation of the food you are contributing to the lunch meal. This can make a lasting positive service impression upon them.
- Lock your car and park in the assigned lot. Be aware of your surroundings without unduly frightening those with you.
- Interact with the homeless guests that come to break bread at the Church of the Reconciler – this is a very hands-on act of hospitality to serve others. Treat those whom you are serving with kindness and respect. Smile and look at our brothers and sisters in Christ.
- You are the best role model for your children – they will learn by following your lead.
- Stay with your children and accompany them to the restroom if necessary without creating a negative image of the facility or those present for lunch.
- Children must be 10 or older to serve at the Church of the Reconciler with adult supervision
Thank you for your willingness to serve in this ministry!
|| PRINCE OF PEACE CATHOLIC CHURCH