40 Condolence Messages for Someone Grieving
Saying goodbye to a family member, friend or four-legged companion is never easy. Although it may feel like there is nothing you can do for someone suffering a loss, offering condolences and support can go a long way. Reaching out can let them know they are not alone during this difficult time. Whether you send a card, flowers, text or email, the messages below are a great place to start if you are looking for the right words.
General Notes of Sympathy
- We share in your sadness as you remember (NAME). May the memories of your time together bring you comfort in the coming days.
- Know you are surrounded by love and prayers during this time. Remember we are here for you.
- Sending prayers and comfort from our family to yours.
- Sending big hugs to ease the pain and help brighten the days ahead.
- May comfort and love uplift you during this difficult time.
- Remember to take care of yourself. Please let me know how I can help.
- May you feel the outpouring of love and support from friends and family.
- We are here for you any time. Please don't hesitate to reach out.
- NAME led a truly remarkable life. He/she is an inspiration.
- A person as special as NAME will never be forgotten.
Loss of a Pet
- In the days ahead, know your loyal friend is watching over you.
- Special pets leave our lives but never our hearts. With deep sympathy for your loss.
- May memories of your beloved pet always be close to your heart.
- Your special pet will be forever remembered and forever missed.
- It's never easy helping our four-legged friends across the Rainbow Bridge. I hope your time together brings a smile to your face.
- Your loyal friend will always be in your heart and by your side.
- Your pet has earned his/her angel wings. May you always feel their presence.
- NAME was lucky to have you. Find peace knowing he/she will continue to be surrounded by your love.
- Our bonds with our pets enrich our lives forever.
- NAME was such a gentle, loving soul. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
Coordinate a meal schedule for a family after a loss with an online sign up. View an Example
Loss of a Parent/Grandparent/Relative
- Thinking of you as you celebrate NAME's amazing life.
- Each generation leaves a legacy on our hearts. May his/her life fill you with pride and inspiration.
- May the memories you've shared comfort you in the days and years ahead.
- You are not alone in your devastating loss. Thinking of you and your family.
- I am sorry to hear of your tremendous loss. Know God's love is surrounding you and your family.
- A parent's love lasts forever. We are praying for you and your family.
- May God wrap His arms around you with comfort and hope.
- There are no words for your loss. Sending support, love and peace.
- May God's love sustain you in the difficult days ahead.
- Celebrating the amazing life of your mom/dad. He/she will never be forgotten.
Loss of Friend
- You are not alone in your mourning. Please reach out so we can walk this path together.
- Good friends are a precious gift. May the memories of your time together bring you happiness in the coming days.
- Treasured friends remain in our hearts forever.
- May your shared laughter shine in your heart during this difficult time.
- Someone so special can never be replaced.
- Those who have shown us kindness, joy, love and support are the hardest goodbyes. Thinking of you during this time.
- Please know I am here for you as you move forward with the memories of your beloved friend.
- All the times you shared will never be forgotten.
- He/she is not gone forever, you will always carry him/her in your heart and soul.
- Good friends never really leave us, they help us along our journey until we meet again.
Let someone know you are thinking of them in their time of need with a quick message of comfort and hope. Taking a few moments to share your sentiments shows how much you care and can make the journey a little easier.
Courtney McLaughlin is a freelance writer in Charlotte, N.C. She gratefully shares her life, home and heart with her daughter and their dog.?