50 Random Questions to Keep Conversations Going
Do you hear that? Crickets. While pauses are natural in any conversation, long moments of silence can be anxiety-ridden and wrought with discomfort for everyone. These 50 questions will restart the conversation and get everyone in the mix and feeling engaged.
Keep a list of your favorites on your phone or in the car so you'll be ready with go-to ideas. To spark conversation at parent events, dinner parties, work functions or anywhere you might need a little help connecting with others. Ask away!
- If you could vacation anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- What is your go-to board game?
- What are two things still on your bucket list?
- What was the make and model of your first car?
- What sports did you play growing up?
- Do you currently live in the same place where you were born?
- Which grade in school did you think was the most difficult? What year was your favorite?
- Where is your favorite place in the world?
- If you are cooking for only yourself - what is your favorite dish to make?
- What are two things you never leave the house without?
- Which snacks are your must-haves for a road trip?
- What is your most valuable possession?
- Do you often remember your dreams?
- When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- What does your ideal day look like?
Plan a potluck for your group with an online sign up. View an Example
- Who inspires you?
- Where do you go when you want to be alone?
- Are you named after anyone? If not, how did your parents think of your name?
- Do you have a treasured piece of clothing you are not willing to give up?
- Do you remember any of the addresses of the places you've lived?
- What is one rule you live by?
- What national/international event had the most impact on your life?
- What is the hardest thing you've ever had to do?
- What is "your" song?
- If you could only watch one movie for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
- You are stranded on a desert island, which three people (dead or alive) are you bringing with you?
- What is your favorite Olympic event?
- Do you have any bad habits?
- What occupation other than your own would you like to try?
- Where are you in your family birth order?
- If you could rename yourself, what name would you choose?
- Which holiday is your favorite?
- If you had to spend the rest of your life as a TV character, who would it be?
- What DOES NOT belong on a pizza?
- What is the best gift you have ever received?
Organize a spooky Halloween party with an online sign up. View an Example
- What is the best gift you have ever given?
- What are two things that every person should do before they die?
- What is your go-to karaoke song?
- Which food could you never get sick of eating?
- What does everyone else seem to like that you can't stand?
- Do you have a party trick?
- What is the biggest lie you've ever told?
- How much money is enough?
- Are you more likely to be early or late?
- What do you collect?
- What's the best way to spend an hour?
- Have you been told you resemble an actor or actress?
- If your life were a song, what would the title be?
- What is the best live event you have ever been to?
- What is the perfect age?
These questions are also fun for family game night or a great way to get to know your kids, spouse or friends a little better. Continue to add to the list and keep the conversation going!
Courtney McLaughlin is a freelance writer in Charlotte, N.C. She gratefully shares her life, home and heart with her daughter and their dog.