30 Inspiring Coaching Quotes
Coaches push us to achieve more and support us when we’re struggling. Think of who your coach is — on or off the field — and check out these 30 inspiring quotes by some of sport’s most legendary play-callers.
- Don’t give up. Don’t ever give up. – Jim Valvano, former N.C. State men’s college basketball coach and national champion.
- It’s not whether you get knocked down; it’s whether you get up. – Vince Lombardi, former Green Bay Packers head coach and two-time Super Bowl champion.
- The interesting thing about coaching is that you have to trouble the comfortable, and comfort the troubled. – Ric Charlesworth, former Australian national women’s field hockey coach.
- Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners. – Joe Gibbs, former Washington Redskins head coach and three-time Super Bowl champion.
- Set goals – high goals for you and your organization. When your organization has a goal to shoot for, you create teamwork, people working for a common good. – Bear Bryant, former Alabama college football coach and six-time national champion.
- A champion is afraid of losing. Everyone else is afraid of winning. – Billie Jean King, former U.S. women’s tennis coach and player.
- The key is not the will to win. Everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important. – Bobby Knight, former Indiana men’s college basketball coach and Basketball Hall of Fame member.
- What keeps me going is not winning, but the quest for reaching potential in myself as a coach and my kids as divers. It's the pursuit of excellence. – Ron O’Brien, former U.S. diving coach responsible for 12 gold medals.
- One man practicing sportsmanship is far better than a hundred teaching it. – Knute Rockne, former Notre Dame college football coach and three-time national champion.
- You can motivate by fear, and you can motivate by reward. But both those methods are only temporary. The only lasting thing is self-motivation. – Homer Rice, former Cincinnati Bengals head coach.
- Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better. – Pat Riley, former NBA head coach and three-time NBA Coach of the Year.
- Victory is in having done your best. If you’ve done your best, you’ve won. – Bill Bowerman, former U.S. track and field coach.
- There are three types of baseball players: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen and those who wonder what happens. – Tommy Lasorda, former Los Angeles Dodgers manager and two-time World Series champion.
- Our emphasis is on execution, not winning. – Pat Summitt, former Tennessee women’s college basketball coach and Basketball Hall of Fame member.
Coordinate tournament concessions volunteers with a sign up. SAMPLE
- Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best you are capable of becoming. – John Wooden, former UCLA men’s college basketball coach and 10-time national champion.
- What do you do with a mistake: recognize it, admit it, learn from it, forget it. – Dean Smith, former UNC men’s college basketball coach and two-time national champion.
- There is nothing so uncertain as a sure thing. – Scotty Bowman, former NHL coach and nine-time Stanley Cup champion
- In basketball — as in life — true joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment, not just when things are going your way – Phil Jackson, former Los Angeles Lakers and Chicago Bulls head coach and 11-time NBA champion.
- Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling. – Bill Belichick, New England Patriots head coach and five-time Super Bowl champion.
- Champions behave like champions before they are champions. – Bill Walsh, former San Francisco 49ers head coach and three-time Super Bowl champion.
- Discover your gift, develop your gift, and then give it away every day. – Don Meyer, former Lipscomb men’s college basketball coach.
Organize strength conditioning classes with a sign up. SAMPLE
- Do your best when no one is looking. If you do that, then you can be successful in anything that you put your mind to. – Bob Cousy, former Boston Celtics head coach and player and six-time NBA champion.
- You were born a player. You were meant to be here. This moment is yours. – Herb Brooks, former U.S. men’s ice hockey coach and gold medalist.
- You can see and you can listen, but you have to have moments in which you feel. – Mike Krzyzewski, Duke men’s college basketball coach and five-time national champion.
- The best teams have chemistry. They communicate with each other and sacrifice personal glory for the common goal. – Dave DeBusschere, former Detroit Pistons head coach.
- Treat a person as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat him as he could be, and he will become what he should be. – Jimmy Johnson, former Dallas Cowboys head coach and two-time Super Bowl champion.
- You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good. – Jerry West, former Los Angeles Lakers player and head coach.
- If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven’t done anything today. – Lou Holtz, former Notre Dame men’s football coach and national champion.
- Be led by your dreams. Not by your problems. – Roy Williams, UNC men’s college basketball and three-time national champion.
- The measure of who we are is how we react to something that doesn’t go our way. – Greg Popovich, San Antonio Spurs head coach and five-time NBA champion.
Whether you’re a sports professional or weekend warrior, use these quotes as motivation to tackle the impossible.
Kyle Eng is a college student who loves spending time with his family, playing music and watching his Carolina Tar Heels — and Tom Brady — win.