50 Icebreaker Questions for School Clubs
School clubs are an enriching way to make a difference in students’ lives, teach them new, useful skills and maybe even help them find their passion! As your group gets to know each other, try these questions as fun — and informative — conversation starters. You never know what you’ll learn that could help you motivate your students.
For Elementary School Clubs
- If you were a color, what color would you be?
- Would you rather be one inch tall or 10 feet tall? Why?
- If you could go by a different name, what would it be?
- If you were a celebrity, what would you be famous for?
- What is your favorite book or movie character?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- If you could have an unusual superpower, what would it be?
- What is your favorite game to play at recess?
- If you could keep any animal for a pet, what animal would it be?
- What unconventional topic do you wish you could learn as a subject in school?
- If you had your own country, what would you call it?
- What is your favorite word?
Gauge interest in a school book club with an online sign up. SAMPLE
- If you had three wishes, what would you wish for?
- What do you like about your best friend?
- What was the best present you ever received?
- What is one thing that you are really good at?
- How do you use what you are good at to help others?
- If you could make one food appear whenever you wanted, what food would it be?
- What is the name of your favorite stuffed animal?
- If you were President for a day, what laws would you make?
- What is one thing you could do all day without stopping?
- What is one thing that you love about (club activity)?
- What is one thing you want to learn about (club activity)?
- What is the best place your family has ever visited?
- What is your favorite part about school?
For Middle and High Schoolers
- If you had a TV show, what would it be called?
- What is your catchphrase, or a word you say a lot?
- If you were to write a book, what would it be about?
- What’s a small thing someone did that really encouraged you?
- What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
- What one song will you always know every word to?
- When did you first realize you were interested in (club activity)?
- What aspect of how you were raised influenced your outlook on the world the most?
- What is a word you know in another language?
- If we had an unlimited amount of club funds, what fundraiser or activity would you use them for? Genius Tip: Try these 50 fundraising ideas for your club.
- What jingle always gets stuck in your head?
- What is something you have in common with the person next to you?
- What is your go-to karaoke song?
Organize snacks for your school photography club with an online sign up. SAMPLE
- If there were 25 hours in a day, how would you spend your extra hour?
- Is there any celebrity you’re distantly connected to, through a friend of a friend or family member? How?
- If you had to get a tattoo, what would your tattoo be?
- If you could create a nickname for yourself, what would it be?
- What is the most interesting topic you’ve done a project on?
- Who is the wisest person you know?
- What is one quality you have that helps when you work in a group?
- What country would you travel to if you could go anywhere?
- If one historical figure could speak to this club, who would you want it to be?
- What’s your favorite quote?
- If you could eliminate any food from existence, what would it be?
- What is the first thing you do when you wake up or the last thing you do before you go to bed?
Once your club members know each other better, working together as a team will be even easier. Whether you’re putting on a school play or creating next-generation technology, those bonds will pay dividends.
Kayla Rutledge is a college student who spends most of her time writing, singing for her church and eating quesadillas.