/ Groups & Clubs
/ 100 Icebreaker Questions for Christmas Parties
100 Icebreaker Questions for Christmas Parties
'Tis the season for Christmas and holiday parties galore! Get your guests talking with a few of these fun, funny and festive icebreaker questions.
For Work Parties
- Share a memorable gift-opening moment from your childhood.
- If you were served a three-course meal, what would you want for each of those?
- What is a Christmas song that makes you cringe?
- What is the coolest gift you ever gave someone?
- What is a phrase or quote that comes to mind that helps you when you are stressed?
- What part of your work environment is your favorite?
- If you could listen in on any room in the world, which room would it be?
- What is one thing you own that you wish that you didn't?
- What is one place you shop that might surprise people?
- You’re walking down the street, feeling great — what holiday song would be playing in the background?
- What kind of holiday shopper are you: Black Friday? Christmas Eve? Yearlong hoarder?
- If there were a moment in your life that you could do over, what would it be?
- What is your least favorite holiday side dish?
- What is the ugliest Christmas ornament you have ever seen?
- If you could be a character in a holiday movie, who would you be and why?
- What characteristic is most important to you in co-workers?
- When you close your eyes and think of your "happy place," where is it?
- If you could have any job in the world for one day, what would it be?
- What is a cherished family tradition from your childhood?
- What is your most embarrassing experience where you forgot an important piece of information?
Plan a Christmas scavenger hunt for the office with an online sign up. SAMPLE
For Parties with Couples
- What is one food item you hide from your spouse or kids during the holidays?
- Finish this thought, "It wouldn't be Christmas without _____."
- You were just given a yacht. What would you name it?
- What "role" do you have in your family (black sheep, family comedian, perfect child)?
- Share three things about yourself that you think no one here knows.
- What was your first car and how did it meet its demise?
- What in your life has to be a certain color or you won't buy it? (Toothbrush? Car?) Why?
- Guess what: You're not traveling to see your in-laws this Christmas! Where will you go instead?
- What is one item of your spouse's/partner’s clothing you wish you could throw away?
- When was the last time you got the giggles at an inappropriate time?
- What commercial from childhood can you say or sing from memory?
- Finish this sentence: "My spouse has way too many _____."
- Share something you have an irrational fear of that makes your spouse laugh.
- What is a poster you had in junior high (or wish you could have had)?
- What is the best thing your mother-in-law or father-in-law ever did to/for you? The worst?
- Driving or eating out: What is your pet peeve in either of these situations?
- What has been the most helpful advice to your marriage? The worst advice?
- What are two things you don't mind spending extra money on?
- What is your favorite holiday road trip memory?
- What is the best present your spouse/partner has ever given you? The worst?
For Family Gatherings
- Name a favorite family Christmas ornament and why it is special.
- What news event do you vividly remember hearing about as a child, and where were you?
- Look at the family member to your left: What are your two favorite things about them?
- What’s the best family Christmas gift you’ve ever received?
- What is one ritual you have in your everyday life that you love?
- You’re stuck on a deserted island. What is the best part? What is the worst part?
- What is your most memorable non-family trip (could be a field trip or work trip)?
- What holiday dessert best describes you and why?
- If you had to be trapped in a Christmas movie, which one would you choose?
- What fashion trend do you want to come back into style?
- You need to make a new breakfast cereal. What ingredients would be included?
- What is your favorite way to serve others during the holidays (and beyond)?
- What's a favorite family Christmas memory that has stuck with you through the years? Why?
- What is your least favorite holiday food?
- How do you imagine your "15 minutes of fame" happening?
- What skill would you love to learn, so you could make presents for friends/family?
- When you go to the zoo, which is your favorite animal to see and your least favorite?
- If you had to pick one instrument to play, what would it be?
- What was a childhood nickname someone gave you?
- What is your favorite Christmas movie?
Plan holiday icebreakers with an online sign up. SAMPLE
For Parties with Friends
- If you could choose your age forever, what would it be and why?
- What is your favorite bumper sticker of all time? Or, create a new one.
- Pick something out of your pocket or purse and share why it is important to you.
- If you could spend the day in one store, what would it be?
- Finish this sentence: "When I am at a social gathering, one thing that ruins it for me is _____."
- What Christmas song from childhood do you still have memorized? Extra points if anyone can sing along!
- Plane, train or automobile … what is your most memorable trip in one of these?
- What is one question you wish people would ask more often?
- There are three layers in a cake, which flavors would you pick (they don't have to taste good together!)?
- What outdoor winter activity do you love?
- What are three things on your "bucket list?”
- What was your fondest food memory from a holiday celebration?
- Name one place you could never live because of the winter weather.
- What was the most memorable holiday celebration you had at school?
- Which holiday would you add to the calendar and which holiday would you subtract?
- Which celebrity would you want to have as a friend? What would you buy them for Christmas?
- If you could design your own ugly Christmas sweater, what would it look like?
- What is the most bizarre experience you have ever had while shopping?
- What sport or hobby confuses you the most?
- Who is most likely to give you a gift as an inside joke and what is the gift?
Plan an ugly Christmas sweater party with an online sign up. SAMPLE
For Parties with Kids
- What is the weirdest Christmas tradition your family has?
- What is one thing in your bedroom that really sums up your personality and why?
- How early do you think you should be allowed to open Christmas presents?
- What is your favorite Christmas cookie?
- If you could have super power, what would it be and how would you use it for good?
- What are your three favorite desserts on the Christmas buffet?
- If you could bring any Disney character to life, who would it be?
- Which store would you never want a present from?
- If you could have one wish granted at Christmas, what would it be?
- Name a Christmas song that is for sure on your party play list.
- What is the weirdest holiday news story that has stuck in your mind?
- Finish this sentence: "Please don't make me read a book about _____."
- If you could give your parents any gift, what would it be?
- What is your red flag that someone isn't going to make a great friend?
- Complete this sentence: "The best way to spend a Saturday in December is _____."
- If you could start a charity/nonprofit, what would it be?
- What is the one thing you want to do regularly but always forget?
- Describe what family means to you in three words.
- What holiday chore do you like the least?
- Who has it harder during the holidays: kids or parents? Why?
Icebreaker questions are a great way to revive drooping conversation or get people mixing and mingling. Try these these questions at your next Christmas party for an even more merry and bright occasion!
Julie David lives in Charlotte, N.C., with her husband and three daughters.