40 Get to Know You Questions for Company Meetings
Icebreaker questions are a great way to help coworkers get to know each other better. Skip the boring "where are you from" inquiries and try out these 40 fun and interesting "get to know you" questions for your next conference, training session or staff meeting.
Let's Get Personal
Dig into what makes employees unique with these questions.
- What is a fun or interesting fact about your hometown?
- Where are you in birth order (oldest? middle? youngest?) and do you think it affects your personality?
- How many different states have you lived in?
- What kind of pet do you have, and how did you choose its name?
- If you had to listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What animal do you think most closely matches your personality?
- If you could choose one age to be forever, what age would it be and why?
- What are three items you'd take with you to a deserted island?
- What's your favorite famous or inspirational quote?
- What's your favorite sports team?
Organize new employee training with an online sign up. SAMPLE
- If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What's your favorite hobby?
- What TV show or movie do you absolutely refuse to watch? Why?
- What's the farthest you've ever been from home?
- Name one thing you're willing to spend more money on to make sure you get the best quality.
- Who would you most like to switch places with for a day (could be anyone — a celebrity or even an animal!)?
- What's the best thing that has happened to you so far this week?
- What characteristic do you like most about yourself?
- If you could live in any city, where would it be and why?
- If you could change something in the world, what would it be?
Keep it Professional
Find out what drives employees professionally — then use it to drive company performance.
- What did you want to be when you grew up when you were in elementary school?
- Where was your first job?
- Do you prefer closed-door offices or open-concept layouts? Why?
- What's your most interesting/embarrassing office story?
- What motivates you?
- How do you wind down after work?
- What could you give a 30-minute presentation about with no advance preparation?
- What's something that has surprised you about your chosen career path?
- What is your favorite thing to do when you're not working?
Plan a company benefits meeting with an online sign up. SAMPLE
- What job would you be terrible at?
- What's a topic you wish you knew more about?
- Do you like old-fashioned calendars or do you save all your events digitally? Why?
- Are you more productive in the mornings, afternoons or evenings? Why?
- What's the coolest or most interesting thing you're working on right now?
- If all jobs had the exact same salary, which career would you want?
- Have you ever had to "unlearn" something in your professional life? What was it?
- What's a challenging situation you had to overcome professionally, and how did you handle it?
- How do you describe what you do for a living to family and friends?
- Discuss a project or achievement that may not have happened if you weren't involved.
- What's the best piece of professional advice you've ever received?
Get coworkers talking and they'll be surprised what they have in common. Creating office bonds also makes employees more loyal, happier and more productive.
Sarah Pryor is a journalist, wife, mom and Auburn football fan living in Charlotte, N.C.
50 Funny Get to Know You Questions
25 Office Party Games to Kick Off Meetings
20 Quick Icebreakers for Meetings
100 Would You Rather Questions for Coworkers
100 Icebreaker Questions for Work