Simple Sign Up Ideas for Random Acts of Kindness Day
Helping people is a gift, and here at SignUpGenius we are all about making it simple to organize people to volunteer and serve others. Here are a few easy ideas for you and your group to bring kindness to your community.
Take Them A Meal (All of Them!)
When people provide others with gift cards, fresh groceries or a home-cooked meal they provide love, care and warmth. Even in a fast-paced lifestyle, 98% of Americans still prefer preparing a meal at home as opposed to eating out, according to a ReportLinker study.
During busy seasons or times of stress, cooking often isn't a top priority. So, consider making meals in bulk with your group and delivering them to multiple households in need, on the same day. Create an online sign up to streamline the process. Here are the steps for this act of kindness:
- Choose a date and location with a large kitchen and space for packaging meals.
- Ask around your community and make a list of families who would benefit from a home-cooked meal. Contact these families to ask about food allergies and meal drop off locations and times.
- Choose a recipe that is easy to make in bulk and accounts for anyone with food allergies. Ideas are salad kits, pastas, crockpot recipes like chili and more.
- Create a sign up for your volunteers to commit to grocery shopping, preparing dishes and delivering meals. Widely distribute the sign up. Include a grocery list or items to bring.
- Set an operating budget and collect funds on the sign up and combine them with other donations to go toward meal resources.
Wish Lists for Teachers
Teachers need classroom supplies year-round and often pay out of pocket for special projects. Set up a wish list with a sign up
and share the link through email or text so parents can easily donate items directly to the teacher. If your teacher approves, you could also share the sign up on social media so community members can contribute.
Here are the steps for this act of kindness:
- Talk with the teacher and find out what supplies he or she needs throughout the year.
- Look for easy purchase options for those items online through sites like Amazon, Target and Office Supply Stores.
- Set up a sign up with the items and slots for people to claim. Include links to the online items for easy purchase. (You may want to check with the room parent to make sure a wish list doesn't already exist).
- Include an option to send an electronic gift card as well.
- Send the wish list sign up out to all the parents in the class with a brief explanation of the "why" behind the project.
- If your class already has a wish list for supplies, create a sign up to bring treats to the teacher! Ideas can include coffee, breakfast, lunch, favorite snacks, movie tickets and flowers.
Rally your community to clean up your neighborhood or a nearby public space in need of some love. Spread the word with a sign up
. Here are the steps for this simple act of kindness:
- Build a sign up that lists clean up locations and meeting times.
- Gather supplies (you can even add slots to your sign up to request that people bring any tools they might have).
- Send the link to your neighborhood through the HOA, Nextdoor App, or Facebook Groups � however your community best communicates.
- In addition, reach out to specific neighbors you know and send them a personal invite.
Get creative with your ideas for showing kindness to others. If you aren't able to gather a big group you can still serve on your own or with one other person. Jump in and make a difference!
Create a Sign Up