How to Stay Connected During Social Distancing
Many people continue to stay home during the COVID-19 pandemic, and some form of social distancing may be a way of life for the foreseeable future. Even if hugs and high fives are off-limits, there are many ways to connect and support each other. With the latest tech tools and some classic fun, we can make new memories and make a difference during this time.
At-Home Fun with Your Quarantine Team
- Night at the Movies - Take turns picking a movie to screen at the (home) theater. Check out this list of classic family films for ideas. Everyone can choose a favorite movie treat to add to the snack bar!
- Minute to Win It Games - These short and silly games will keep you laughing and bring out the competitive side in your crew. Play a few as a midweek pick-me-up or make it a whole game night!
- Cooking Wars - Compete against members of your quarantine group to bring your favorite recipes to the table (one-on-one or in teams). One team could whip up an entrée and a side, and the other could cook an appetizer and dessert. Or teams can alternate nights and serve up a whole menu. Come up with a fun review system (i.e. use emojis to rate each dish) and give compliments to the chefs!
Help Your Community Safely
- Serve Smart - Try some of these socially distant service project ideas such as sharing virtual kindness with residents at a local nursing home or cleaning up a neighborhood park.
- Empower Nonprofits - Check in with your favorite local nonprofits to see if there are ways you can help support their work virtually, such as sharing a fundraising campaign on social media. Genius Tip: Did you know you can easily share a crowdfunding campaign on sign ups with our Fundly integration?
Online Event Ideas for Groups
- Virtual Cocktail/Coffee Hour - All you need for this one is your favorite group, a video conference link and your beverages of choice. Invite your participants with a sign up and include a link to the video conference. Try some of these funny icebreaker questions to get the laughs started.
- Book Club Buddies - You don’t need to meet in person or even live in the same city to start a book club! Create a meeting schedule with an online sign up — participants can take turns signing up as the host and choosing the book selection. Try some of these questions to inspire your discussion.
- Play Kahoot - This fun quiz game is perfect for groups and easy to use on a video conference. The host creates the quiz (topics could include group memories, celebrity culture, sports trivia) and shares the code with the rest of the group. Participants can download the Kahoot app on their phone and enter the code to play together. This is sure to be a favorite new tradition!
In Your Neighborhood
- Food from the Heart - Create a sign up to bring meals or groceries to an elderly neighbor or family in need. Make sure to follow social distancing guidelines when dropping off meals.
- Stuffed Animal Surprise - Invite neighbors to display stuffed animals in their front windows to give kids a fun surprise when they walk or drive through the neighborhood.
- Sidewalk Art Show - Bring some color to your neighborhood with a chalk art masterpiece on your driveway! Join the movement and get the word out to neighbors to create their own piece.
Until we can gather around a table again with our favorite people, technology can help us keep laughing together. Try some of these ideas to bring family and friends closer during social distancing.
Create a Sign Up