December 31 is a powerful motivator for charitable giving, creating opportunity for nonprofits as donors try to meet the year-end tax deadline and take advantage of deductions. Use these 10 end-of-the-year tips to help increase donations to your charity.
1. Craft a Compelling Message - One of the most important factors to attract new donors and gain their long-term loyalty is your nonprofit’s message. Make it clear and concise. It’s extremely important to illustrate to your donors why you need their help and how their donation will make a difference. Use this powerful message through every media avenue you utilize. Make your goals specific and actionable.
2. Have a Goal in Mind - Give your donors a reason to give at the end of the year. For instance, recruit a foundation or larger donor to match year-end giving to a certain amount or promise all money will go toward a specific initiative such as a new playground at your nonprofit. You could also plan a competition, pitting older alumni versus younger alumni for donations, for instance.
Plan a winter coat drive with an online sign up. SAMPLE
4. Optimize Your Web Presence - Your website is no less important than your physical location. It’s worth the effort to ensure your donors’ virtual visit with your organization is smooth, intuitive and adds to their experience in a positive way.
6. Make Online Donations Quick and Easy - Improving the experience of making a donation could be the best use of your resources. Make it quick, seamless and user-friendly.
Plan holiday gift donations with an online sign up. SAMPLE
9. Plan Giveaways on Social Media - Engage your audience by offering holiday-themed giveaways via social media accounts. Partner with a local business to give away a coupon or product with every donation. Consider working with local businesses to offer goods or services as an incentive for increased donations.
10. Add Giving Levels - Instead of asking people to type in the amount they want to give, suggest a handful of amounts. Research has shown that suggesting giving amounts leads to increased donation performance. Use pre-set amounts to gain a boost on donations on both your website and smartphone app. Don’t forget this technique for traditional mail campaigns as well.
Remember, planning for year-end giving should start well before the end of the year approaches. Incorporate some of these tips, and you’ll see dividends year round.
Sara Kendall is a freelance writer and mom of two daughters.