100 Movie Trivia Questions and Answers
You love going to the movies, but how much do you know about your favorite films? Test your knowledge with these 100 trivia questions about movies and find out who's a true film buff. From family classics to comedies, the variety of questions are sure to keep you on the edge of your seat.
There are so many ways to play! Break into teams and pick a category or go down the list and see how many you can answer correctly in a set time. Perfect for game night, travel adventures, or a rainy-day activity - keep this list handy for instant entertainment. Questions range from easy to difficult so everyone can join in the fun. Lights, camera, action!
- Which is the first movie in the Austin Powers franchise? Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
- What city is overrun with ghosts in Ghostbusters? New York
- In Back to the Future, what speed does the DeLorean have to reach to experience time travel? 88 mph
- What year were the blockbusters—The Mask, Dumb and Dumber and Ace Ventura: Pet Detective—released? 1994
- Inigo Montoya is a character from which 1987 iconic Rob Reiner film? The Princess Bride
- Which holiday do Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal celebrate at the end of When Harry Met Sally? New Year's Eve
- What flavor Pop Tarts does Buddy the Elf use in his spaghetti in Elf? Chocolate
- Who starred as Arnold Schwarzenegger's twin in the 1988 movie Twins? Danny DeVito
- What is Bill Murray's occupation in Groundhog Day? Meteorologist
- What famous NFL quarterback plays Mary's former love interest in There's Something About Mary? Brett Favre
- In the movie, City Slickers, what did Mitch Robbins call the calf he helped deliver? Norman
- Who was the first character to speak in the first Star Wars movie? C3PO
- In The Matrix, what color are the two pills that Morpheus gives Neo to choose between? Red or blue
- The Lord of the Rings movies are based on a novel by what author? J. R. R. Tolkien
- What was the first science fiction film? A Trip to the Moon in 1902.
- What is the name of the computer in 2001: A Space Odyssey? Hal
- What are the bad guys called in The Transformers? Decepticons
- What is the name of the spaceship in Alien? USCSS Nostromo
- What actor played the President of the United States in Independence Day? Bill Pullman
- What illegal substance is Tom Cruise addicted to in Minority Report? Clarity
- What do astronauts travel through to find a new planet in Interstellar? A wormhole.
- What substance is Han Solo frozen in during The Empire Strikes Back? Carbonite
Organize a backyard movie night with an online sign up. View an Example
- What film is based on the life of two tennis stars that are also sisters? King Richard which portrays the life of Venus and Serena Williams.
- Who directed A League of Their Own? Penny Marshall
- Who played the "Unsinkable Molly Brown" in Titanic? Kathy Bates
- In Because of Winn-Dixie, what is Winn-Dixie? A dog.
- Cool Runnings tells the story of which country entering a bobsleigh team into the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary? Jamaica
- Aaron Sorkin won an Oscar for writing what 2010 drama about the creation of Facebook? The Social Network
- Which movie has the tagline: "The true story of a real fake."? Catch Me If You Can
- What famous line in All the President's Men does not appear in the book or any documentation of Watergate? "Follow the money."
- What film was named the #12 most inspirational movie by the American Film Institute in 2006? Apollo 13
- While preparing for his role as Michael Oher in The Blind Side, Quinton Aaron trained with what college football team? Georgia Tech
- How many horses played the role of the four-legged star in Seabiscuit? 10
- What campus was depicted as Harvard in A Beautiful Mind? Manhattan College
- In this film, eight different ballparks played the role of Oakland Athletics stadium. Moneyball
- Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix voiced all the songs themselves in what 2005 film? Walk the Line
- What are the names of the twins played by Lindsay Lohan in the 1998 film The Parent Trap? Hallie and Annie
- What non puppet actor played Scrooge in the movie The Muppet Christmas Carol? Michael Caine
- Which Pixar movie featured a journey to South America in a house held up by floating balloons? Up
- Who directed It's a Wonderful Life? Frank Capra
- What are the names of Cinderella's wicked stepsisters? Anastasia and Drizella
- What is the dog's actual name in The Sandlot? Hercules - but the kids call him "The Beast."
- What is the name of the spell used by Ron and Hermoine in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone to make their feathers fly? Wingardium Leviosa
- In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe what magical country does the White Witch put a spell on so that it is always winter but never Christmas? Narnia
- What 1993 film starring Robin Williams takes place in San Francisco? Mrs. Doubtfire
- What busy airport "played" both itself and Paris's Orly Airport in the 1990 holiday classic, Home Alone? O'Hare
- What is Jack-Jack's real name in The Incredibles? John Jackson
- Which 90's movie featured the songs "My Guy (My God)" and "I Will Follow Him"? Sister Act
- What is the name of Kevin Costner's character in Field of Dreams? Ray Kinsella
- Where is Humperdinck's kingdom in The Princess Bride? Florin
- In the film, The Nightmare Before Christmas, who do Lock, Shock and Barrel mistakenly kidnap before they grab Santa Claus? The Easter Bunny
- What 1982 family film favorite took two years to produce and had over 1,900 production personnel? Annie
- What was the name of the whale in the movie Free Willy? Keiko
- In Disney's Alice in Wonderland, who is the first character to speak to Alice after she falls through the rabbit hole into Wonderland? Door Knob
- What was the first feature-length animated movie ever released? Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
- In Finding Nemo, how many white stripes does Nemo have? Three
- Who voiced Victor Van Dort in Corpse Bride? Johnny Depp
- What is the name of the fictional place where Frozen takes place? Arendelle
- What mode of transportation is the Polar Express? A train.
- What is the first animated movie made entirely by CGI (computer generated imagery)? Toy Story
- What land are the tiny dinosaurs trying to get to in The Land Before Time? The Great Valley
- What villain threatens the entire Lego universe in The Lego Movie? Lord Business
- What animated film was the third highest grossing movie in 2001? Monsters, Inc.
- What song do title character Cinderella and Prince Charming dance to at the ball? "So This Is Love"
- Which Disney film features the voices of Demi Moore, Kevin Kline and Jason Alexander? The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Plan a movie night fundraiser with an online sign up. View an Example
- Which child from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory finds the first Golden Ticket? Augustus Gloop
- In what movie do you spend time in Neverland? Peter Pan
- Set in a Los Angeles office building, the 1979 novel "Nothing Lasts Forever" is the basis for what film? Die Hard
- How many tributes survive the first day of The Hunger Games? 11
- Fried Green Tomatoes is about the friendship of what two women who run a café? Idgie and Ruth
- What Hemingway novel was adapted into a movie in which Santiago goes for 84 days without making a catch? The Old Man and the Sea
- Which teen flick about high school students was based on Jane Austen's "Emma"? Clueless
- What did Sean Connery always wear in James Bond movies? His toupee.
- What film about three escaped convicts on the run in the 1930s was loosely inspired by the classic poem, "The Odyssey"? O Brother, Where Art Thou?
- Fantastic Mr. Fox was created from a children's book by what author? Roald Dahl
- Contact is based on a book by what writer? Carl Sagan
- Which film showcased both Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey's debut acting performances? The Color Purple
- If you watch the Marvel movies in chronological order, which movie would you start with? Captain America: The First Avenger
- What is the highest-grossing movie of all time? Avatar
- What was the name of the boat in Jaws? Orca
- What actor feels "the need, the need for speed" in Top Gun? Tom Cruise
- What was Jason Bourne's real name? David Webb
- Where does Jack's compass point in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl? To whatever he desires most.
- Who played the lead role in the 2001 film Lara Croft: Tomb Raider? Angelina Jolie
- In Speed, why was Annie (Sandra Bullock)'s driver's license suspended? She was speeding.
- What national monument does Cary Grant climb in the final moments of North by Northwest? Mount Rushmore
- What gas is used to "turbo" cars in The Fast and the Furious? NOS, a.k.a nitrous
- How do scientists in the film Jurassic Park recover dinosaur DNA? From a mosquito preserved in amber.
- Which film earned Tom Hanks his first Academy Award nomination? Big
- What Disney movie was nominated for 13 Academy Awards and won 5? Mary Poppins
- For what movie did Steven Spielberg win his first Oscar for Best Director? Schindler's List
- Who is the youngest Best Actor Academy Award winner? Adrien Brody was 29 when he starred in The Pianist.
- Which male artist has the most Academy Awards? Walt Disney racked up 22!
- Which animated movie had the first nomination for Best Picture? Beauty and The Beast
- What musical won Best Picture in 1968? Oliver!
- What year were the first Academy Awards handed out? 1929
- Who was the first woman to win the Academy Award for Best Director? Kathryn Bigelow won for The Hurt Locker.
- When were the Oscars shown on television for the first time? 1953
- What was the first color film to win an Oscar for Best Picture in 1940? Gone with the Wind
- Which new award category was added to the Academy Awards in 2001? Best Animated Feature
Get the popcorn and candy ready and see who's knowledge of the big screen reigns supreme!
Courtney McLaughlin is a freelance writer in Charlotte, N.C. She gratefully shares her life, home and heart with her daughter and their dog.