Are you eager to spend some quality time together as a family but can’t seem to find the time or creativity to come up with new ideas for what to do? As always, here at SignUpGenius, we’re happy to provide resources to simplify your life. Take a glance through these 25 unique family night ideas to find a few your crew will enjoy trying together.
1. Pick up a book from the library and go to a coffee shop to read it out loud together.
2. Get ice cream or better yet, make it together.
3. Create an obstacle course that all family members have to cross together and compete against yourselves by trying to beat your time on each run through the course.
4. Take a walk together in a different neighborhood from where you live.
5. Prepare a package for someone in need of particular items like a serviceman, a widow or an orphan.
6. Create a large art piece where you all draw what you like to do together.
7. Exchange names before going to the mall where each family member receives $2-$5 to buy a gift for the person they chose. Shop for a set amount of time and then exchange the gifts over a soda or soft pretzel.
8. Play football, soccer or Frisbee at a park.
9. Make a family mailbox and leave it in a prominent place in the house for notes of encouragement.
10. Split up the family by ages or genders and compete to complete a scavenger hunt. Video and photos to share later are a must!
11. Go to a free music in the park night.
12. After the kids get tucked in for the night, surprise them with an unexpected ice cream run in their pjs.
13. Make dinner for a shut in and go join them for the meal. Add a song and dance routine if some members of the family are so inclined as to entertain.
14. Leaf through old family photo albums or watch home movies from years past together.
15. Play a new card game.
16. Start a “Thankful for” journal and have each person write in it. Little ones can draw photos.
17. Pitch a tent in the living room and watch a movie.
18. Bake a special dessert together and then sit down to eat it all together.
19. Invite another family to join you for a family night when you try out a new activity together.
20. Play a few rounds of “Sardines” which is the opposite of “Hide and Go Seek.” One person hides and each time someone finds her, they hide in the same place until the last person finds the whole group.
21. Perform your favorite songs for each other with a karaoke machine.
22. Attend a local high school football game or drama performance together.
23. Take a bike ride on a nature trail or local greenway.
24. Put a puzzle together while listening to a book-on-CD.
25. Draw pictures of family members and exchange them to hang in bedrooms and offices.