25 Questions for College Reps
Choosing a college is exciting, but it can also be an overwhelming decision! Here are 25 questions to ask a college rep that will help determine if his/her school is the right fit for you.
- Which majors are the most popular? Most colleges list the available majors on the website, but asking about the most popular majors will give you a better feel for the academic strengths and breakdown of the college.
- When do I need to declare a major? If you are undecided about your major, then it will be helpful to choose a college that allows you to declare later, rather than sooner.
- What type of academic assistance is available? Find out about tutoring or mentoring programs, and if professors offer office hours.
- What role does technology play in academic life? Whether the answer is online academic assistance or lectures available via videoconference, this open-ended question will give you some real insight into day-to-day academic life.
- Are there opportunities to study off campus? If you like to travel, find out about options to study abroad or participate in a college exchange program.
Fall break carpool, anyone? Coordinate carpools easily with SignUpGenius! SAMPLE
- What are the requirements for admission? It’s a smart idea to have a written list of the admission requirements, so that you can check off each credit requirement as you meet it.
- What are the standards for acceptance? Knowing the average SAT/ACT scores or GPA will give you an idea of what kind of chance you have for acceptance.
- Are there scholarships available? Often there are scholarships available from a college, but they are not always well advertised.
- What is the total cost, including books? The fees above and beyond tuition vary greatly from college to college. Having the total cost of a college will help you compare your top picks.
- Are there campus jobs available for freshmen? If you want to earn some spending money, then you will want to know if a campus job is an option.
Campus Life Questions
- Where do the freshmen live? This could potentially be your new home away from home, so find out as much as you can about dorm life and housing options.
- What is the campus dining like? Food is important! Find out about dining locations, hours of service, and menu options.
- How are roommates assigned? It’s important to know if you can room with someone from your hometown or someone who shares a common interest.
- How do students get around campus? Learn if the campus is walkable, or if most students bike, drive a car, or ride public transportation to classes. This will help you picture day-to-day college life.
- What do the students like most about this campus? This question will give your rep a chance to tell you something interesting or unique about the college. If the rep tells you about beautiful nature trails, but you were hoping for a student center with a movie theatre, then that may influence your decision.
Make exercising on campus more fun, with a friend! Coordinate via sign up: SAMPLE
Social Life Questions
- What percentage of students become members of fraternities or sororities? This will give you an idea of how important Greek life is on campus.
- Are there club or intramural sport teams available? Joining a team is a great way to make friends at college.
- Do you have a ________ club? Whether you are interested in Spanish club, kickboxing or ultimate frisbee, make sure this college offers it.
- What are the big campus social events? It is a good idea to find out if a college offers the types of social events that are of interest to you.
- What do most students do on the weekends? If most students go home on the weekends, but you only plan to go home on major holidays, this will be important information to have before making your college decision.
- Are there internship programs available? Getting job experience before you graduate can be the key to getting that first job.
- What is the job placement rate for grads? Job placement rate speaks volumes about a college’s reputation.
- What jobs do people get with my major? If your rep has a tough time answering this, then you may want to consider a major with more job opportunities.
- What job placement services are offered? Make sure that a college offers assistance when it’s time to put your education to use.
- Is there an active alumni association? Sometimes it’s what you know AND who you know that gets you hired!
Stacey Whitney is the mother of two teenagers and owner of WordsFound, a content company.