25 Christmas Party Game Ideas
Make your holiday party a hit with one of these games
Whether you are having a Christmas party with family and friends or an office party with co-workers, here's a list of games that will add some fun to your celebration.
1. Fill the Christmas stocking. Divide into teams and have the participants race to fill their team's hanging stocking with a spoonful of wrapped candy.
2. Christmas gift wrap relay. Set up assembly lines of gifts, boxes, scissors, wrapping paper, ribbon, and tape for each team. Either have each player wrap one gift or make an assembly line of workers. Then race to wrap!
3. Word Find. Using Christmas words—Christmas, Poinsettia, Candy cane, etc.—have each person make as many smaller words from it as possible before the timer runs out.
4. Christmas Carol Charades. Get dramatic! You can’t beat this crowd pleaser, as it is sure to bring the laughs.
5. Photo booth. Provide silly props and backdrops for guests to use to get silly in front of a photographer (keep in mind it doesn't have to be a professional).
6. Two truths and a lie. This is a great ice breaker! Each person tells two stories about themselves, two of which are true and one that is not. A great Christmas twist is to name their three worst Christmas gifts; two would be true and one would be false.
Need a better way to organize you holiday party? Save time by using SignUpGenius! Get started!
7. Snowman building contest. Judge on speed or originality.
8. Snowman wrapping contest. Wrap a person as a snowman in toilet paper and decorate. First or best one wins.
9. Snowball throwing contest. Make a large bulls-eye in the snow with food coloring from spray bottles. Indicate points for each circle of the target, like in darts or shuffleboard. Everyone makes the same amount of snowballs and throws for points.
11. Pin the red nose on Rudolph. The Christmas version of Pin the Tail on the Donkey.
12. Build an ice sculpture. Freeze colored water ahead of time in ice-cube trays, jello molds and yogurt containers. Place all materials on outdoor tables and have participants build sculptures or totem poles or whatever else you designate.
13. Ornament guess. Have guests guess the total number of ornaments on the tree as they come into the party. The closest guess wins.
14. Christmas stocking guessing game. Fill a large stocking with items around the house and let the kids guess what items are in the stocking.
15. Christmas memory game. Put Christmas items on a tray and give people one minute to memorize the items. Take the tray away and have them write as many down as they can remember in 30 seconds.
16. Holiday ABC's. Give each child or team a piece of paper with the alphabet written vertically from A to Z. Have them write a holiday word that starts with each letter. The first one to complete the list wins.
17. The night before Christmas. Give each person the name of some part of Santa Claus' outfit—sleigh, reindeer, belly, etc. As the host reads “The Night Before Christmas”, each participant listens for his word and when he hears it, he stands up, turns around and sits down. When the host mentions Santa Claus, everyone changes places and participants try to get a seat. The one left out continues the story until it is complete.
18. Name that carol. Make a list of lyrics from songs that only provides 3-4 words from each song (not the title). The person who names all - or the most - songs in a certain amount of time wins.
19. Christmas dice gift exchange. Have everyone sit in a circle and start with a gift. Play a Christmas carol while 1-3 dice are being passed around (space them out). Each person rolls and passes the dice. If they roll a six, they can trade packages with whomever they want. At the end of the song, everyone keeps the package in front of him or her.
Organize the perfect holiday party or potluck... FREE! Find out how easy it really is!
20. Christmas gift fact exchange. Number each gift as it arrives. Give the person who brought the gift a corresponding number. Have them write a little known fact about themselves and throw it into a bowl. When gift exchange starts, the host draws a fact and reads it without mentioning the package number. The person who guesses who it is first is given the package with the corresponding number. Once someone guesses correctly, they are out of the game. The game ends when there is one gift left for the host.
21. Gift hot potato. Pass around one unwrapped gift at a time. When the music stops, whoever holds it is out of the game, keeping the gift they are holding.
22. Themed gift exchange. Pick a theme for gifts to be exchanged. Everyone brings a $25 gift with that theme in mind. (example: gifts that begin with M, gifts that are red, etc). Then play the traditional take a number, steal the present game.
23. Get what you really want gift game. Have each person bring a wrapped gift for himself. Gifts are all mixed up and passed out. Everyone opens one gift, then must guess who bought it. Have a list of everyone at the party so people can write down their guesses. Whoever has the most correct guesses wins. To spice it up, have everyone donate $1 to the pot. The winner gets the pot.
24. Birth year gifts. Before drawing names, have everyone write down the year they were born. When you buy for that person you drew, buy a gift relating to the year they were born. Be creative!
25. Christmas tie game. Use those old Christmas or ugly ties to have some fun. Give each team of two a tie. Using only one hand one person must tie his partner's tie. First one done wins.
No matter what holiday games your group decides to play, remember the point is to let go and have fun. Strive for good sportsmanship and have a sense of humor! After all, embracing the holiday spirit is the true name of the game.
Janis Meredith writes Jbmthinks, a blog on sports parenting and youth sports. After being a coach's wife for 27 years and a sports parent for 17, she sees issues from both sides of the bench.
Posted by Janis Meredith
Posted by Krista Van Bushkirk on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:28 PM EST
I loved the ideas! Great games for the party. IT WAS GREAT!!
Posted by Brooke Winans on Mon Nov 7, 2016 10:52 AM EST
Great ideas I had a GREAT party!!
Posted by Tiffanee Watts on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:19 PM EST
We use the holiday gift exchange app to add some excitement and laughs to our gift exchange. It's so easy - no prep required. Each participants brings a gift and goes home with a gift. The gifts are traded, shuffled, and passed. You'll never know what gift you will end up with until the very end.
Posted by samantha valancia on Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:16 AM EST
I loved all these games.
they r fantastic & fabulous................
Posted by srilakshmi vaddenapudi on Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:12 AM EST
the kids enjoyed playing all the games.......
Posted by Pollock Fredrichson on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:00 AM EST
The kids LOVED these games!!
Posted by lily bowie on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:55 AM EST
brill! loved the games we played them the kids did love it
Posted by lily bowie on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:53 AM EST
I am going to use these at my Christmas party great ideas the kids will love it
Posted by Crissa Joy magno on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:53 AM EST
thx. nakatulong tagala iya :)
Posted by eleni jameson on Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:00 PM EST
thank you!you helped me with my speech for school!
Posted by jean yeah on Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:12 PM EST
i really like this . thank you !
Posted by hwang jinhee on Wed Dec 9, 2015 3:13 AM EST
Posted by Babatunde Tobi on Tue Dec 8, 2015 9:40 AM EST
Wow!!!!! I love you for this. You just saved a life with this. Thanks a bunches.
Posted by Karle Finckle on Tue Dec 1, 2015 11:42 AM EST
These are really great ideas! I cant wait for Christmas 2015!
Posted by effie dsouza on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:35 PM EST
ideas are awesome!!!!!!!!
Posted by dan nhix on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:29 AM EST
this ideas are amazing! i've learned something from it.
Posted by Gary Volin on Thu Jul 9, 2015 4:13 PM EST
Can someone help me find Christmas Games for the Summer. We celebrate Christmas in the Summer and also, it goes to a good cause. 20% of all proceeds go to Toys For Tots. In participation with the Mayor and Police Department.
Posted by larissa haley on Sun Jun 7, 2015 4:17 PM EST
love it!! It is the perfect list for a fun filled christmas party!!! (comment is sooo late, meant to post it in january!!! c:)
Posted by Anesti Sample on Wed Mar 4, 2015 9:31 PM EST
Alwsome job sigh up genise
Posted by Arissa Campos on Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:37 PM EST
Thanks for helping me with the games!
Posted by Leeha Brownowl on Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:17 PM EST
IT'S TONIGHT PEOPLE ENJOY THESE GAM ES
Posted by Ay Taiwo on Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:57 AM EST
Awesome games , I will use these games tomorrow and I mean it! I hope you party planners use these games too!
Posted by ALISON BOLSHOL on Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:04 AM EST
These are just terrific ideas! Thank you!
Posted by Very Thankful on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:01 PM EST
Great list of games, thank you.
Posted by Kimberly Seard on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:10 AM EST
I can not wait until Christmas Eve 2014 to try these. We are going to have a blast. Thank you
Posted by Katie Stowers on Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:51 PM EST
I am 11 and I thought that some games were good but most was not
Posted by jenna white on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:48 PM EST
Sounds great ! using these holiday ideas right now for my party tonight!! thanks again for the help. JENNA.
Posted by Elaine Colo on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:48 AM EST
Very helpful. Makes me imagine the output as I read each idea. Kind of fun :) Lol :D
Posted by Dulce Moraga on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:04 PM EST
Only 8 days till Christmas and I'm even doing candy wreaths!!!
Posted by Akshat Gupta on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:33 AM EST
These games seem interesting but I need ones which can be played with props from daily life. But still I'll try them out with my family. Even if they are not that easy they seem interesting.
Posted by maddie wallick on Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:20 PM EST
I'm am going to try this with my friends and they sound like fun. Another fun thing to do is to pop popcorn and get food coloring if u want and then pour something sticky on the popcorn to make a popcorn ball then roll it in powder sugar and it looks like a snowball. P.S I'm in elementary school
Posted by Joan Strandlien on Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:43 PM EST
We always have Christmas at our home. I bought a christmas bingo game and gifts which I put the gifts in Christmas bags. I make sure everyone gets at least two gifts. The family which includes my grandchildren and great grandchildren. They always look forward to spending Christmas with grandma and grandpa!
Posted by Alicia P on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:22 PM EST
Very helpful!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!
Posted by Matthew Daniels on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:01 PM EST
I came up with a party game for my christmas party. I made a list of things or people relating to Christmas. When they come into the party I will put a sticker on their back with something written on it. Throughout the party they can asks other guests yes or no questions to try to figure out who/what they are. Some things I came up with were Frosty, baby Jesus, Christmas Tree, Star, Santa, ornament, christmas cookie, etc.
Posted by Kieran O'Rourke on Mon Dec 8, 2014 3:22 AM EST
amazing! i am going to do a family christmas party with some of these ideas, im sure they will all love it!
Posted by Shelva Waolker on Sun Dec 7, 2014 6:47 PM EST
Wonderful Ideas, thank You!!
Posted by Alicia Housley on Sun Dec 7, 2014 3:26 PM EST
It helped me plan fun Christmas games for a Christmas party.
Posted by ???? ?????? on Fri Dec 5, 2014 6:05 PM EST
Great, me and my friend got together and changed the game to suit 2 players, some of these games gave me ideas for other elated games that would suit the day and age better! keep it up!
Posted by Kylar Kallioinen on Tue Dec 2, 2014 7:04 PM EST
Thanks!! that helped a lot :)
Posted by natalie clarke on Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:47 AM EST
good but the instructinons need to be clear we only done 1 on this website it needs to inprove loads to get good revus
Posted by Vicki V on Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:30 PM EST
Every year I have a Christmas party for all my girlfriends. 1 year I wrapped a big box like a gift and cut a hole on 1 end with a flap of paper to cover the hole.On the bottom of the box I tapped 12 small items that are related to Christmas ex. name tag, piece of ribbon, small pine cone etc. Each person has 5 min. to put their hand inside the box and feel for the 12 items. When their 5 mins. is up they can begin to make their list. The 1 with the most correct items wins! Everyone really liked that game and no one got them all.
Posted by cupcake lover on Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:02 PM EST
I didn't really find it useful sorry but they still are some great ideas
Posted by dulce moraga on Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:36 PM EST
I usually do the games on birthdays. This will be my first time doing games in Christmas. SO EXCITED!!!
Posted by Jackie Binder on Tue Nov 4, 2014 7:49 PM EST
Here's a game I've played at an adult Christmas party for our church group. Write the word CHRISTMAS vertically on a piece of paper & write a name of a Bible person beside the letter.
Posted by Darlene Phillips on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:17 PM EST
I also like getting ideas. I am in charge of our church Christmas banquet which we have about 150 people attend. Last yr we did the decorating of the Christmas tree. They walked around the room (we had about 8 trees) and I had them vote on the best decorated tree. Great success. I need another idea for participation for entertainment like this.
Posted by Karen Garner on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:58 PM EST
Would love to have some ideas for difficult letters in the A-Z alphabet challenge. Help!
Posted by sarah mae pacana on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:31 AM EST
i really like those games
Posted by Deloris Bessegato on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:40 AM EST
I try to come up with something different each year for ages 10 to adult. I love your ideas. Most of them are new to me so I can use some of them. Thank you
Posted by Oluchi Okorie on Mon Jun 2, 2014 11:28 AM EST
thanks found this very useful especially idea number 16.much love.cheers
Posted by Lorraine Pasinski on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:49 PM EST
Fun game for adults & kids.. Host/hostess wraps gifts for the amount of people attending... Small items. tooth paste.brush small toys, mirrors .scotch tape.etc..Dollar store is fine.. All get a gift. Host reads :Night b/4 Christmas & everytime :the:is mentioned a gift is passed...At the end keep or trade your gift..
Posted by lolie bob on Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:56 PM EST
lol good games gonna play them
Posted by carolyn adcox on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:37 PM EST
Give the first letter of each word in the title of a Christmas Carol then let the guest write the answer, when checking the list instead of giving the title they have to sing the first line.
Every one has heard the poem "The Night Before Christmas" Quiz the guest on how well they know it, like "Did Santa Smoke?"..................it's a fun game really.
Posted by Yasmine Abbas on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:48 AM EST
I'm looking for other things to do at a cristmas party beacuse I'm making one but I don't know how to start
Posted by angel lingat on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:58 PM EST
hank you for that"s amizing games now i so exited to say to my teacher thank!!
Posted by Amber Frosty on Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:53 PM EST
This list of Christmas games is Amazing! I am the organizer of my annual family Christmas party and I am only 13 years old! I can guarantee that this years party will be the best one yet!
Posted by Tansi Joshi on Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:27 AM EST
Great ideas. It helps me a lot.. Thank you very much.
Posted by Jessica Mondal Lakra on Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:43 AM EST
Thanks! The ideas are simple but will be fun!
Posted by F McPherson on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:41 PM EST
Thanks so much! I was totally stressing over my holiday party! Now I have nothing else to worry about! THUMBS UP!
Posted by April Judson on Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:42 PM EST
I am in charge of the games at my work Christmas party and for the life of me, I could not think of any. This is a great source. Thank-you very much. Now I have nine great games that will be sure to keep my coworkers entertained!
Posted by SYLVIA ALTAMIRANO on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:24 PM EST
THANK YOU SO MUCH THIS ITS GREAT IDEAS FOR MY PARTY WE LL HAVE A LOT A FUN IM SO SURE THANKS AGAIN
Posted by ammaarah kumandan on Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:35 AM EST
this is ganno help me alot for my christmas party
Posted by Chynell Jefferson on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:23 PM EST
These suggestions are wonderful. My boss delegated me for the office games this year for our annual Christmas party and didn't have any ideas. Now will have clever ideas. Thanks
Posted by Gladys Baldwin on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:52 PM EST
Thanks for the games very helpful and fun games . I am helping with a Christmas Celebration at Church
so these games will be great. Awesome Site.
Posted by Tracy M on Mon Dec 9, 2013 12:44 PM EST
Thanks for the great ideas , i'll be sure and use a couple of them at my office party.
Posted by Arra May on Mon Dec 9, 2013 8:40 AM EST
Amazing games :) So helpful for me to find the new games.
Posted by Man Bhathal on Sun Dec 8, 2013 7:09 PM EST
This is gr8 for any party thx alot??
Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on Fri Dec 6, 2013 10:21 PM EST
I was doing this for a 4-H project because I'm the rec. coordinator and the list was very helpful! Thank you so much!
Posted by ARNOLD OLIGO OLIGO on Thu Dec 5, 2013 2:00 AM EST
I can't wait to play this ideas on my party!.. Reading all the ideas makes me feel crazy this is wonderful...snowman wrapped with tissue paper is funny :) I will be hosting Christmas party this Dec.15,2013. Thanks for the ideas!
Posted by trinkey snehalatha on Wed Dec 4, 2013 7:19 AM EST
Posted by Raquel Gonzales on Wed Dec 4, 2013 1:55 AM EST
Nice fresh ideas along with a few classics, thank you, this really helps :)
Posted by Natalia Lopez on Tue Dec 3, 2013 11:57 PM EST
Wow! this is my first Christmas party, and I am 13 years old, I will definitely be using ALOT of these ideas, and because im 13 proves that these games are fu for people of all ages! thatnk you so much whoever created this website! it was very useful and im so happy and grateful that someone created it! Merry Christmas everyone!!!
Posted by emerald stella on Tue Dec 3, 2013 8:33 PM EST
THANK YOU FOR MAKEING THIS WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Rose Noftz on Tue Dec 3, 2013 12:08 PM EST
These were fantastic!! So glad I found them. :)
Posted by holly wood on Mon Dec 2, 2013 6:11 PM EST
These helped my party rock.
Posted by Celeste Caparco on Sun Dec 1, 2013 5:13 PM EST
WOW! Your site is great. I am the big party planner in my group of friends. Just visualizing the snowman wrapping contest has got me laughing. Cant wait to use that game and some more from your site.
Posted by lydia Rutkowski on Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:37 PM EST
this very help with my partys alot!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Mary Emfield on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:50 PM EST
These ideas are great! I will be using one or more at our family party this year! Thanks for the great tips!
Posted by Penny Hamilton on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:50 PM EST
I have ben searching for quite awhile for good ideas for my Christmas party. It is our 20th annual so you can imagine we have tried many things over the years. Your site has the best fun…..Thanks
Posted by collins bright on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:27 AM EST
wow...the games are fabulous. The list has made my work simpler, thank you.
Posted by Tiffany Leyte on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:31 AM EST
these are very cool game and activity idea...
Posted by Janis Meredith on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:02 PM EST
Thanks, Misty! Hope you find it useful!
Posted by Misty Walters on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:19 PM EST
I host a lot of parties for all holidays and this list is fantastic! Thank you!
Post Your Comment
NOTE: You do not need an account to post. For the ability to delete, create an account.
Holiday Party Planning Made Easy!
Recent Home & Family Articles