GRCT Audition List
SIGN UPS FOR THIS AUDITION ARE NOW CLOSED. IF YOU WOULD STILL LIKE TO AUDITION YOU MAY COME TO THE THEATRE DURING ANY OF THE TIMES BELOW AND WE WILL SEE WHEN THERE IS SPACE AVAILALBLE.
Grand Rapids Civic Theatre is holding auditions for the musical MARY POPPINS on Friday, September 9th from 6-9pm and Saturday, September 10th from 11am-4pm. Auditions are open to the public. This production features a cast of 20+ adults and 2 children ages 8-12. Civic is looking for actors of all gender identities and ethnicities to fill these roles.
Rehearsals begin September 20th and the show runs November 18th-December 18th
Please see the Character Description document below for more specific information about available roles.
Show dates are November 18th-December 18th.
Original Music and Lyrics by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman
Book by Julian Fellowes
New Songs and Additional Music and Lyrics by Anthony Drewe and George Stiles
Co-Created by Cameron Mackintosh
Based on the stories of P.L. Travers and the Walt Disney Film
One of the most popular Disney movies of all time is capturing hearts in a whole new way: as a practically perfect musical! Based on the books by P.L. Travers and the classic Walt Disney film. The jack-of-all-trades, Bert, introduces us to England in 1910 and the troubled Banks family. Young Jane and Michael have sent many a nanny packing before Mary Poppins arrives on their doorstep. Using a combination of magic and common sense, she must teach the family members how to value each other again. Mary Poppins takes the children on many magical and memorable adventures, but Jane and Michael aren’t the only ones upon whom she has a profound effect. Even grown-ups can learn a lesson or two from the nanny who advises that “Anything can happen if you let it.”
Director: Allyson Paris
Stage Manager: Allison Baker
Music Director: Joshua Keller
Assistant Music Director: Kels Rezmer
Choreographer: Erin Kacos-Pott
For a more detailed description of the audition experience, including tips on how to prepare, please see the AUDITION GUIDE link below!
- Friday, September 9th from 6-9pm & Saturday, September 10th from 11am-4pm
- Auditions are organized into 3 different groups:
- ACTORS AGES 8-12
- ADULT ACTORS AGES 16+
- ACTORS of ALL AGES (These slots are for families who may want to audition together, and/or actors who don't have a preference for auditioning with actors in their own age group. Please note: we are very unlikely to cast actors in the 13-15 year old range for this production.)
- Auditions will take place at Grand Rapids Civic Theatre: 30 N. Division Ave, Grand Rapids MI. You will enter through the Main Lobby Doors on Library Street, across from the Ellis Lot.
- Please arrive at LEAST 20 minutes prior to your audition time, and plan to be on-site for about 60 minutes.
WHAT TO PREPARE:
- ALL Auditions will consist of a singing element and dance element. NO reading from the script will happen at the initial audition.
- VOCAL AUDITION: ALL Auditionees should prepare 16-32 bars from a Broadway Musical or pop music prior to 2012, preferably in the style of the show (though please do not sing anything FROM the show). Please bring sheet music that includes a piano part in a 3 ring binder. An accompanist will be provided.
- DANCE AUDITION: We will briefly go over the choreography at the audition, but it would be best to learn the combination to the best of your ability prior to the audition. See links below.
- Perusal scripts can be checked out with a $10 deposit at the Civic Theatre Box office M-F 10am-5pm until Friday, September 2nd. After that, you may read the perusal script AT the theatre but the scripts may not leave the building.
- PLEASE FILL OUT THE ONLINE AUDITION FORM AT LEAST 48 HOURS BEFORE YOUR AUDITION: Click HERE for AUDITION FORM.
DANCE AUDITION VIDEOS
STEP BY STEP VIDEO click HERE
VIDEO FROM THE FRONT click HERE
VIDEO FROM THE BACK click HERE
Wednesday, September 14th from 6:00-10:00pm
Callbacks are by invitation only based on the needs of the individual productions. Those invited to callbacks will likely read scenes & sing songs from the show, and may learn additional choreography.
- Current Covid Protocols do NOT require anyone to wear a mask at Civic, though people are more than welcome to do so! Be aware: should Kent County move to the CDC’s Medium or High designation, masking and vaccine protocols will be resumed. PLEASE SEE THE AUDITION GUIDE FOR IMPORTANT, DETAILED COVID PROTOCOLS FOR AUDITIONS, REHEARSALS, AND PERFORMANCES.
- Parents may wait with their auditioning child in the waiting area, but will NOT be allowed in the audition room.
- Auditions can be very stressful, so we politely request that parents ONLY bring children who are going to be auditioning to the audition to keep the waiting area from becoming overcrowded or overly distracting. Thank you for your understanding.
|| Allyson Paris