H.O.P.E. of Winston-Salem has officially begun growing vegetables at our Operations Facility. We are looking for help maintaining the garden throughout the growing seasons of 2021. Volunteers are needed for watering, weeding, general maintenance and harvesting. We anticipate the tasks to grow as the seasons progress.
This is an outdoor activity that is great for a parent and child. No serious gardening experience is required, but definitely welcome. We currently have 10 raised beds with a variety of Spring crops planted.
A few notes on this volunteer opportunity:
- The focus will be on watering/weeding in the first few weeks and will include harvesting around the beginning of May
- Volunteers can sign up to come alone or with a friend/family member
- We need help on five days during the week: Wednesday through Sunday
- There are no set start and end times for this opportunity and we would suggest planning 20-30 minutes until harvests really start coming in
- Volunteers can come when the HOPE building is accessible or during a more convenient time. The garden and any tools needed will be made accessible to signed up volunteers
- If it rains on the day you signed up for, you do not need to come to the garden
Times when building is accessible:
Wednesdays: 9:30am to 11:00am
Thursdays: 3:00pm to 5:00pm
Fridays: 9:30am to 11:00am
Saturdays: 9:00am to 12:00pm
Sundays: 11:00am to 12:00pm
If you sign up for a date and decide to come when the building is not open, please send an email to Scott Best at: [email protected] and you will be provided information to access the garden.
Volunteers need to bring their own work gloves!
We are located at 355 NW Crawford Place, WSNC 27105. This is in Kimberley Park, located in the Boston-Thurmond neighborhood. We are about a quarter of a mile east of Kimberley Park Elementary School, on the north side of the street. Easiest access off University Parkway is at 25th street.
Contact us at: [email protected] or at 336.816.0801 with any questions.