2019-20 Parents & Members
(Duke Basketball has been added to the calendar!)
Each person working an event needs to sign up - please type in the comment box the name of the band student that will be receiving the credit for the event.
Signing up to work means you will be there - rain or shine. The Apex Band Boosters has a commitment with Staff One, so please don't not show up without notice.
The official volunteer list will be sent to Staff One the Monday prior to the game. Once the volunteer list has been sent to Staff One, you have committed to work that event. Be sure you add/delete prior to Monday of the upcoming event.
**Students Especially - Please check the band calendar before signing up for below dates. Competition dates in 2019 are 9/28, 10/5, 10/19, 10/26 and 11/2 (potential).
NC State and Duke Football Game Workers earn $10.00/hour, with a 4 hour minimum (if you report ON TIME). 95% ($9.50 per hour) will go into your Student Fund, and the remaining 5% will go to the General Fund.
Minimum age is 17 for Duke Football events, and 16 for NCSU Football events.
Report times vary per location but average to be 2 hours prior. The time indicated on the sigup is the report time for that event. Please be on time!
When reporting to the event, allow enough time to deal with traffic, park, use the facilities and change clothes. The stadium may be a 15-20 minute walk from Staff parking.
Each event will end up being around 5-6 hours in duration. Several people may work on your student's behalf - i.e. siblings at least 16-17 years old, friends & family. Be sure they sign up & list the marchers name to whom the funds should be assigned.
Volunteer positions include:
- Ticket Taking (using a barcode scanner to scan tickets at entrances)
- Ushering (Checking tickets to sections and assisting guests with questions in the venue)
- Other positions will be staffing the top of the line of the metal detector entrances handing out buckets to guests, so they can put their metal objects in and advising guests on what items can’t enter the stadium before they go through the metal detector.
Note for All Events: You will be STANDING in the sun, on concrete, rain or shine for the entire duration (you will have one short break). You are responsible for your own transportation to the events.
You will be issued a polo style shirt or jacket prior to each event. This garment must be returned at the conclusion of your shift. If you fail to return a shirt or jacket, you group will be charged the cost for replacing it.
Your shirt should be tucked in, with collar down and sleeves fastened. You must wear a collared shirt for known jacketed events.
Standard Dress Code
- Khaki tan pants at NC State, ECU and Campbell
- Khaki tan shorts are permitted for Heat Awareness Days
- Black pants at Duke and NC Central
- Black shorts are permitted for Heat Awareness Days
- Plain black or brown belt
- Mostly black comfortable shoes or sneakers
- White T-shirt to wear under your staff shirt
- Collared shirt for known jacketed events (when the weather cools off)
The look we present to our customers and guests must be consistent throughout Staff One. While we respect personal freedom and expression it’s important to our success to project the image of the guest we host and the clients we serve.
- Neat beards and facial hair (subject to supervisory approval)
- Moderate hairstyles and length (subject to supervisory approval)
- Inexpensive wristwatch
- Small earrings for females, no larger than a quarter
- Staff One hats, the home team of the venue you are working or plain black or navy baseball caps / skull caps (no logo)
- Clear rain gear or see-through rain gear
- Dark color no logo long sleeved t-shirts may be warn under your staff shirt or jacket
- A clear bag with your personal belongings
- Non-essential or expensive jewelry
- Handbags, backpacks or oversized bags
- We ask all group members to bring their items in a clear bag when possible
- Certain types of body piercing
- Earrings on males
- Use of head garments (hats, etc) aside from company issued apparel
- Wearing sunglasses at night or indoors
- Offensive or excessive tattoos (supervisory approval), may require covering
- Rolling up shirt sleeves
- Hooded sweatshirts or hoodies
And please bring a smile :-)
Please represent Apex High Marching Band proud!
Staff-1 also staffs other events throughout the year, and they request additional help from Volunteer groups for these. For example, concerts at Carter Finley Stadium, Raleigh Rock n' Roll Marathon, NASCAR races and various festivals. For these events additional information will be provided closer to the event date. Watch for announcements in the weekly band update!
THE FINE PRINT (please read): This opportunity, as well as Walnut Creek concessions and PNC concessions is just that - an OPPORTUNITY. These are not something the Band Boosters MUST offer, these are something we CHOOSE to offer. Likewise, these are not opportunities that are guaranteed to be offered year after year. Fellow booster members volunteer to coordinate each of these opportunities on their own time - in addition to their volunteer hours for the boosters, in addition to their family time, in addition to their work/school/church obligations. The most difficult part of coordinating is when people don't follow rules, don't read their gatelist emails, arrive late, or worse yet back out at the last minute, etc. We are ALL volunteers, but the APEX BAND BOOSTERS signs a contract to provide staffing for these events. Some contracts include a clause to back charge us if we fail to provide the staffing required. Everyone who agrees to staff an event represents our team - anyone who consistently arrives late OR does not follow rules of staffing these events OR creates a history of backing out of commitments to staff events at any OR all of these opportunities may be removed from all of these opportunities across the board. We really do not want to have to do this to any of our members - so please be on time, read your gatelist emails, know when to be at the stand, bring whatever supplies are required (ie. pen/pencil/calculator/hat, etc). Come prepared and happy to be there and willing to help show new parents what to do. Things will also change and morph throughout the season, please be flexible and a good representative of the Apex Band Boosters. This may also indirectly by example teach your students to follow through with their commitments!
TIMES MAY BE ADJUSTED AS WE GET CLOSER TO THE SEASON/GAME!!
QUESTIONS? Please email our volunteer parent rep:
Directions to NC State
Off I-440 Beltline
Take exit 4 (Wade Ave, To I-40 West)
Take the next exit Blue Ridge Rd and make a left
Make a right onto Trinity Rd
As you approach Carter-Finley Stadium make a left onto Youth Center Drive. Up on the right you will see Gate H-7 of the State Horse Complex, pull in there and tell the parking attendant you work with Staff One and park where they direct you.
Walk down Youth Center and cross Trinity Rd. Walk down the east side of the stadium (where there is no press box) and go to Gate 7. We enter and check in at Gate 7.
After signing in, you will be given a STAFF collared shirt to wear over your white shirt. If you must bring a bag/purse, you may check it at the STAFF ONE table (also at Gate 7). However, it’s best to come carrying nothing. Once you receive your shirt, Supervisors (in green shirts) will be looking for workers to fill their sections. Historically, a lot of Apex band and chorus people have worked for BLAIR - he supervises USHERS, mainly in the north end zone. If TICKET TAKING is your thing, we have also worked with JON R (JR). You may ask for these supervisors to see if they need help. Otherwise, walk up to any supervisor and they will help get you assigned to a section to work.
Lastly, plan extra time for parking and walking to the stadium. Staff parking is about a 15-20 minute walk from the stadium. Even though we arrive a few hours before kickoff, TONS of people are already there tailgating. Traffic is already congested - plan for a LOT of extra time parking & walking to stadium so that you arrive on time at Gate 7.
Once you arrive, HAVE FUN!
|| Apex Band - Staff One Volunteering