FoodShare Columbia Volunteers
Every other week, FoodShare South Carolina packs and distributes hundreds of fresh food boxes for community members facing food insecurity. To get the job done, we rely on the generous support of our volunteer force. Thank you for serving with us!
In following CDC guidelines, we are currently requiring masks in the warehouse and at our outdoor drive-thru site. Please opt out of volunteering if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or have been exposed and are waiting on test results.
Please email Kim Hollins ([email protected]) with any questions.
For the Box Packing and Box Distribution slots listed below:
- Wear comfortable clothing that you don't mind getting a little dirty. You may want to have a sweatshirt or jacket with you for Box Prep slots in case you are working in the cooler.
- Closed-toe shoes are REQUIRED for Box Prep and Box Packing slots.
- Please bring a mask. (If you do not have a mask, we'll have some onsite.) Box Distribution slots will take place outside so please consider bringing things like sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat/visor.
- We always have water and some snacks onsite but if you have preferred snacks or beverage please bring them, especially for slots that take place around meal times.
- Be prepared to be on your feet for long periods of time and repetitively lift up to 25 lbs.
- Be prepared for a variety of weather conditions as we operate rain or shine. The warehouse where we pack is air conditioned and get a little chilly. Box Distribution slots take place outside.
For the Box Delivery slots listed below:
- You will accompany our driver in the FoodShare van for the length of the shift.
- Duties include lifting and carrying FoodShare boxes which may weigh up to 25 pounds.
- Boxes will be delivered to various locations throughout the city including churches, medical clinics and senior high-rise apartments.
- Be prepared for a variety of weather conditions and dress accordingly as we operate rain or shine.
- You must wear close-toed shoes.
- Since this shift does run over the lunch hour without a break we advise you to bring a lunch/snack you can eat on-the-go, as well as something to drink.
- Please arrive a little in advance so that the van can leave promptly at 10:45 am.
||FoodShare South Carolina