Auditions for The SpongeBob Musical with Acting Up
Who: Anyone 6-18 years old
When: Monday, June 20 or Tuesday, June 21, 6:20-9:00 pm. Your entire audition will take about 45 minutes - 1 hour. Callbacks (for those requested) will be on Thursday, June 23 at 6:30pm.
Where: Acting Up Mason, 108 E. Church St, Mason, OH 45040
Show Info: SpongeBob is the musical adaptation of Nickelodeon’s long-running animated sitcom you have seen on TV. This crazy, fun musical is described as "Our Town" meets "Armageddon" meets "SpongeBob." It has music by multiple award-winning, eclectic artists from John Legend to Aerosmith, from Sara Bareilles to David Bowie and many more. This musical takes place in the undersea city of Bikini Bottom, inhabited by happy-go-lucky and ever-optimistic yellow sea sponge SpongeBob SquarePants and his equally quirky circle of friends and neighbors. SpongeBob’s pleasant existence is abruptly interrupted when it is discovered that a nearby volcano will erupt within the next 48 hours!
Though SpongeBob SquarePants is incredibly fun and family-friendly, its timeless story of identity, crisis, and community is also a witty allegory that examines and critiques the politics of the modern era, and it does so in such a way where children will appreciate and understand the plot line, while adults can read between the lines and extract even more from the musical’s message.
What to prepare and bring:
- Song: Be prepared to perform 32 measures (no longer than 1 minute) of any song that highlights your voice. This should be a Broadway-type song. You should sing with karaoke-type music (no vocals) downloaded on your phone, iPod, or CD. There will not be an accompanist. (Please note, no WiFi is available in our building and cell service is spotty, so please have any music pre-downloaded.)
- Monologue: You should perform a monologue no longer than 1 minute that demonstrates your acting ability.
- Dress to dance. A short piece of choreography will be taught and performed as part of the audition process.
- Audition Form: Found on our database at ActingUpdb.com. Please create an account and enter all your information, including ALL conflicts from July 5-Sept 23. If you already have an account, DO NOT create a new one, but make sure to update your information before printing. Bring a printed copy of the audition form, including your conflicts list, with you to your audition. Please make sure that ALL of your CONFLICTS are listed in the database and printed with your form. ALL conflicts must be reported at auditions.
- Photo: Bring a recent photo that looks like you, that you do not need returned. No need for professional photos, it is merely to help the casting board recall who is who.
Schedule: Rehearsals will begin the week of July 5, and are expected to be Monday-Thursday 6:30-9:00pm and Sundays 2:00-5:00pm. Not all actors will be called to every rehearsal. Performances will be Sept 23-25 at the Mason High School Theater.
Who's Directing?: Acting Up's Fall Musical will be directed by Becca Burgess, with assistant director Brent Peebles. Music Direction by Jeanne Bilyeu and Kyle Heimbrock.
Acting Up COVID protocols: We will continue to follow the recommendations of the Warren County Department of Health. We will update closer to auditions with current protocols. For auditions - During the monologue and song portion of the audition, we will ask that all actors remove their mask.