Acting Up board
Who: Anyone 8-18 (and still in high school) years old
When: Monday, May 6 or Tuesday, May 7, 6:30-9:00 pm. You will sign up for a 20 minute time slot, but the entire audition will take about 45 minutes. Callbacks (for those requested) will be on Thursday, May 9.
Where: Mason Intermediate School (in the 45 building cafeteria), 6307 Mason Montgomery Road, Mason, OH 45040
Show Info: Inspired by the twisted genius of Roald Dahl, the Tony Award-winning Roald Dahl's Matilda The Musical is the captivating masterpiece from the Royal Shakespeare Company that revels in the anarchy of childhood, the power of imagination and the inspiring story of a girl who dreams of a better life. With book by Dennis Kelly and original songs by Tim Minchin, Matilda has won 47 international awards and continues to thrill sold-out audiences of all ages around the world.
Matilda is a little girl with astonishing wit, intelligence and psychokinetic powers. She's unloved by her cruel parents but impresses her schoolteacher, the highly loveable Miss Honey. Over the course of her first term at school, Matilda and Miss Honey have a profound effect on each other's lives, as Miss Honey begins not only to recognize but also appreciate Matilda's extraordinary personality. Matilda's school life isn't completely smooth sailing, however – the school's mean headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, hates children and just loves thinking up new punishments for those who don't abide by her rules. But Matilda has courage and cleverness in equal amounts, and could be the school pupils' saving grace!
Packed with high-energy dance numbers, catchy songs and an unforgettable star turn for a young actress, Matilda is a joyous girl power romp.
For more information on this production, and a list of available roles, see our production page.
What to prepare and bring:
- Song: Be prepared to perform 32 measures (no longer than 1 minute) of any song that highlights your voice. This should be a Broadway-type song. You should sing with karaoke-type music (no vocals) on your phone, iPod, or CD. There will not be an accompanist.
- Monologue: You should perform a monologue no longer than 1 minute that demonstrates your acting ability (you may be cut off).
- Dress to dance. A video of the dance audition will be linked to our website approximately one week before auditions.
- Audition Form: Found on our database at ActingUpdb.com. If you already have an account, DO NOT create a new one, but make sure to update your information before printing. Bring a printed copy of the audition form, including your conflicts list, with you to your audition. Please make sure that ALL of your CONFLICTS are listed in the database and printed with your form. ALL conflicts must be reported at auditions.
- Photo: Bring a recent photo that looks like you, that you do not need returned. No need at all for professional photos, a selfie is fine. It is merely to help the casting board recall who is who.
Schedule: Rehearsals will start the week of July 7, and are expected to be Monday-Thursday 6:30-9:00pm and Sundays 2:00-5:00pm. Not all actors will be called to every rehearsal. Performances are expected to be September 20-22 at the Mason High School Theater.
Who's Directing?: "Matilda" will be directed by Brahm Corstanje, with Music Direction by Jeanne Bilyeu.
Mason Intermediate School