Civic Theatre is seeking a cast of actors ages 8-18 for our 2019 Traveling Troupe Production of SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK LIVE, JR! The Emmy Award-winning educational cartoon series will brought to life at local school & community venues from March-June 2019. Tom, a new teacher nervous about his first day, learns how to win his students over with memorable songs like “Just a Bill,” “Lolly, Lolly, Lolly” and “Conjunction Junction.” Math, history, grammar, and science come alive with this energetic 50-minute musical.
DIRECTOR: Lauren Vesbit
STAGE MANAGER: Julia Nichols
MUSICAL DIRECTOR: Joshua Keller
CHOREOGRAPHER: Worth Hages
- Auditions are 30 minute slots by appointment – sign up below. Auditionees need to bring 16-32 bars of prepared sheet music (Broadway style) and be prepared to learn a short group dance combination.
- Please see attached character descriptions. Perusal scripts can be checked out AFTER 12/1/2019 with a $10 deposit at the Civic Theatre Box office M-F 10am-5pm.
- PLEASE FILL OUT THE ATTACHED CONFLICT SHEET AND BRING IT WITH YOU TO AUDITIONS.
- You may also bring a Headshot & Resume (not required).
- If you are new to auditions or Civic, or back after a few years, please look through the attached Audition Guide – many of the most frequently asked questions are answered in this guide.
- We recommend arriving 20 minutes prior to your audition time to ensure adequate time for parking and sign-in.
General Auditions: Saturday, January 12th from 3:30pm-5:30pm at Civic Theatre
Callbacks (by invitation only): Sunday, January 13th from 3:30-5:30pm at Civic Theatre
WHAT IS TRAVELING TROUPE?
The Traveling Troupe is Grand Rapids Civic Theatre’s flagship outreach program that provides local schools & community venues the opportunity to have theatre travel to them! Now in its 28th year, the Traveling Troupe has played to almost 200,000 children and adults – always completely free of charge. Traveling Troupe brings everything with them – scenery, sound equipment, costumes, props, actors & crew!
Traveling Troupe performs at schools on Tuesday mornings at 10am from the beginning of March through late May. There are also 3-5 community performances on Saturdays or Tuesday evenings – times/locations are currently TBA. The production lasts approximately 50 minutes, with a 5-10 minute Q&A after the performance.
Rehearsals are generally less than a regular Mainstage at Civic Theatre – please see the conflict calendar below for ALL of the potential rehearsal dates/times. Depending on cast conflicts, rehearsals will likely be 2-3 days/week from mid-January until the first week of March.
PLEASE CHECK THE PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE CAREFULLY TO BE SURE YOU ARE AVAILABLE ON ALL OF THE PERFORMANCE DATES!