**AUDITION SIGN UPS ARE NOW CLOSED! If you would still like to audition, you may come to Civic Theatre during the audition times and we will work you in when we have cancellations/no shows.**
Grand Rapids Civic Theatre is holding auditions for the musical THE SOUND OF MUSIC on Saturday, September 18th and Sunday, September 19th. Auditions are open to the public. This production features a cast of 30-35 adults and children (ages 7+).
Please see the Character Description document below for more specific information about available roles.
Music by Richard Rodgers. Lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II. Book by Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse. Suggested by The Trapp Family Singers by Maria Augusta Trapp.
Salzburg, Austria. 1938. Nazi Germany prepares to begin the Second World War. While she takes time to decide whether she wishes to become a nun, Maria takes a job as governess to a large family. She falls in love with the children, and eventually their widowed father, Captain von Trapp. After the Anschluss, Captain von Trapp is ordered to accept a commission in the German navy, but he and Maria execute a plan to flee Austria with the children.
Director: Bruce Tinker
Stage Manager: Rhonda Lehan
Music Director: Brendan Hollins
Choreographer: Lewis Richards
Assistant Music Director: Corie Auger
For more detailed description of the audition experience, including tips on how to prepare, please see the AUDITION GUIDE link below!
- Auditions are organized in 30 minutes slots by age. You only need to sign up for ONE 30 minute audition slot below!
- Saturday, September 18 from 10am-12:30pm: Children ages 7-16 ONLY
- Saturday, September 18 from 1:30-4:00pm: Adults and Children ages 7-16
- Sunday, September 19 from 6pm-8:30pm: Adults ages 17+ ONLY
- Auditions will take place at Grand Rapids Civic Theatre: 30 N. Division Ave, Grand Rapids MI. You will enter through the Main Lobby Doors on Library Street, across from the Ellis Lot.
- Please arrive at LEAST 20 minutes prior to your audition time, and plan to be on-site for about 60 minutes.
WHAT TO PREPARE:
- The Audition will consist of a singing element and dance element. NO reading from the script will happen at the initial audition.
- Auditionees should prepare 16-32 bars from a Broadway Musical, preferably in the style of the show. Please bring sheet music that includes a piano part in a 3 ring binder. An accompanist will be provided. Please see the Audition Guide Link below for more specific guidance on choosing music.
- The first half of the dance combination will be available via video approximately one week prior to the audition. Look for it on the Sign Up Genius page! We will teach the second half of the dance combination at the audition. See below for links. **PLEASE NOTE: ONLY YOUTH AUDITIONEES AGES 16 AND UNDER WILL DO A DANCE AUDITION**
- Perusal scripts can be checked out with a $10 deposit at the Civic Theatre Box office M-F 10am-5pm until Friday, September 10th. After that, you may read the perusal script AT the theatre but the scripts may not leave the building.
- PLEASE FILL OUT THE ONLINE AUDITION FORM AT LEAST 48 HOURS BEFORE YOUR AUDITION: https://forms.gle/Cx4uGbZbE9GXKGjD9
DANCE AUDITION VIDEOS: Auditionees ages 16 and under will learn a short dance combination at the initial audition. You can learn the first half of the combination using the YouTube Links below, and you will learn the second half at the audition itself. Adults will NOT need to dance at the initial auditions, but may be asked to dance the callbacks, if invited.
STEP BY STEP CHOREOGRAPHY BREAKDOWN: https://youtu.be/zuMLlXN26ts
CHOREOGRAPHY WITH MUSIC: https://youtu.be/6u2PmnzEfkQ
IMPORTANT COVID NOTE: ALL auditionees, and ANYONE in the building will be required to wear a mask over their mouth and nose while in the building. We will allow auditionees to remove their masks, if they choose, for their 16-32 bars of singing ONLY. Auditions will be held on the Meijer Majestic stage to ensure the best possible distancing and ventilation throughout the audition. For more information on Civic's Current Covid Policies, please see the Audition Guide Link Below.
Tuesday, September 21st 6-10pm
Callbacks are by invitation only based on the needs of the individual productions. Those invited to callbacks will likely read scenes & sing songs from the show, and may learn additional choreography.
- We will be asking EVERYONE in the building to wear a mask over their mouth & nose for the entire audition process EXCEPT for the very short time that they are performing their 16-32 bar song. PLEASE SEE THE AUDITION GUIDE FOR IMPORTANT, DETAILED COVID PROTOCOLS FOR AUDITIONS, REHEARSALS, AND PERFORMANCES.
- Parents may wait with their auditioning child in the waiting area, but will NOT be allowed in the audition room.
- Auditions can be very stressful, so we politely request that parents ONLY bring children who are going to be auditioning to the audition to keep the waiting area from becoming over crowded or overly distracting. Thank-you for your understanding.
|| Allyson Paris