Grand Rapids Civic Theatre is holding auditions for the musical ONCE on Sunday, June 27th and Monday June 28th. Auditions are open to the public. This production features a cast of 12-15 adults*, all of whom play an instrument and sing during the show.
Please see the Cast Breakout document below for more specific information about which characters play which instruments.
In addition to the show itself, cast members will ALSO be asked to play ensemble pieces as part of the pre-show event for each performance AND possibly in 2 offsite gigs at the end of August (see conflict calendar link below). Although Civic cast members are typically volunteers, in recognition of the EXTRA contribution of pre-show and offsite concerts, we will pay performers $75 for each pre-show and offsite event.
*There is ONE non-speaking child role for an actress aged 6-10. We will audition for that role separately on Wednesday, July 7th from 6-9pm.
AUDITION INFORMATION - ADULTS
1. ADULT AUDITIONS are 20 minute slots by appointment, and each auditionee has THREE TOTAL MINUTES to share the following items:
- A selection on an instrument (or instruments) that you would be comfortable playing onstage in the show.
- A selection of you singing solo – you can accompany yourself on an instrument, or you can bring piano sheet music for the staff accompanist to play with you. We’d prefer you did NOT sing a capella (without accompaniment).
- Anything else you feel shows off your unique skills – another instrument (or instruments), some dance, dialogue/monologue, another special skill you feel might be relevant.
You may use your three minutes however you see fit, but the KEY things we need to see/hear are your vocal skills and your instrumental skills. If you are interested in the roles of Girl, Guy, or Bank Manager, we would love to see you sing & play at the same time.
2. CHILD AUDITIONS are 20 minute slots by appointment and each auditionee will do some acting exercises with the director. If an actor sings or plays an instrument, they may also have ONE minute to share that skill in a song of their choice.
3. Please see character descriptions link below for recommended description of characters, age ranges, and instrument information. You can also check out a script from the Box Office with a $10 cash or check deposit. Box Office Hours are M-F 10am-4pm, but due to limited staff, please call first to make sure someone is in the office before heading downtown.
4. PLEASE FILL OUT THE CONFLICT SHEET (LINK BELOW) AND BRING IT WITH YOU TO AUDITIONS. There is a version for actors Adult actors and Youth actors.
5. You may also bring a Headshot & Resume (not required).
6. Please take a look at the Audition Guide below if you are new to us or have questions. Auditioning can be daunting, and we want to help you feel comfortable and confident!
7. Fully vaccinated adults do NOT have to wear a mask for their audition. We will be maintaining social distancing for auditionees and continuing to santitize all high touch surfaces regularly. In keeping with MDHHS guidelines, we are asking unvaccinated adults to please wear a mask at all times inside the building. Anyone who would PREFER to wear a mask at anytime during their audition is more than welcomed to do so as well.
8. We recommend arriving 20 minutes prior to your audition time to ensure adequate time for parking and sign-in. More information about parking and entrances will be sent to people on the sign up a few days before the audition.
Sunday, June 27th 1-4pm (Adults only)
Monday, June 28th 6-9pm (Adults only)
Wednesday, July 7th 6-8pm (Girls ages 6-10 only)
Wednesday, June 30th from 6-10pm
Callbacks are by invitation only based on the needs of the individual productions. We will not do callbacks for the child role.
Once, the Musical
Book by Enda Walsh
Music & Lyrics by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova
Based on the motion picture written and directed by John Carney
Director: Allyson Paris
Music Director: Charles Hutchins
Choreographer: Erin Kacos-Pott
Stage Manager: Kieran Smith
On the streets of Dublin, an Irish musician and a Czech immigrant are drawn together by their shared love of music. Over the course of one fateful week, an unexpected friendship and collaboration quickly evolves into a powerful but complicated love story, underscored by emotionally charged music.
Featuring all of the magical songs from the critically acclaimed film, including the Oscar-winning "Falling Slowly," this achingly beautiful, joyously uplifting show strikes an unforgettable chord in audiences and speaks to the power of music to connect us all. A show like that only comes around Once.