**ALL YOUTH SLOTS (Ages 8-15) ARE CURRENTLY FULL. PLEASE CHECK BACK IN NOVEMBER FOR WAITLIST SLOTS/AVAILABILITY**
Grand Rapids Civic Theatre is holding auditions for Roald Dahl’s Matilda, the Musical on Saturday, November 23rd. Auditions are open to the public. This production features a large ensemble cast with several principal and featured roles for both youth and adult actors of all ethnicities.
- Auditions are 30 minute slots by appointment, and organized by age – sign up below. Auditionees need to bring 16-32 bars of prepared sheet music (Broadway style) and be prepared to learn a short group dance combination.
- Please see attached character descriptions for recommended age ranges. Perusal scripts can be checked out beginning October 1st with a $10 deposit at the Civic Theatre Box office (M-F 10am-5pm).
- PLEASE FILL OUT THE ATTACHED CONFLICT SHEET AND BRING IT WITH YOU TO AUDITIONS. There is a version for actors ages 8-17 (YOUTH) and a version for actors ages 18+. Please be sure to fill out the correct version!
- You may also bring a Headshot & Resume (not required).
- We recommend arriving 20 minutes prior to your audition time to ensure adequate time for parking and sign-in.
- For more detailed information about the process, please see the AUDITION GUIDE attached below.
Saturday, November 23rd 11:30am-1pm AND 3-3:30pm: Performers ages 8-15
Saturday, November 23rd 2pm-3pm AND 3:30-5pm: Performers ages 16+
Monday, November 25th from 6-10pm
Callbacks are by invitation only based on the needs of the individual productions.
Roald Dahl’s Matilda, the Musical
Book by Dennis Kelly
Music & Lyrics by Tim Minchin
Based on the book, Matilda, by Roald Dahl
Director: Allyson Paris
Music Director: Charles Hutchins
Choreographer: Erin Kacos-Pott
Stage Manager: Kieran Smith
Precocious Matilda lives in a world of imagination with no boundaries. She needs to. Her mom is a self-absorbed dancer. Her father is a deceptive swindler. The headmistress at her school, Miss Agatha Trunchbull, is a tyrannical disciplinarian. Her only reprieve is getting lost in the worlds found in her imagination or her books, and time with her teacher, Miss Honey, who takes interest in her intellect and wit. With the help of her new ally and a touch of magic, Matilda manages to navigate everything from family drama to unifying her classmates against Miss Trunchbull’s evil ways. A scrappy story of heart, filled with colorful characters, that celebrates how different life can be when you take a stand for your future.