***SIGN UPS FOR THIS PRODUCTION ARE NOW CLOSED. IF YOU STILL WISH TO AUDITION, WE RECOMMEND ARRIVING EARLY ON SATURDAY TO BE PLACED ON THE WAITING LIST AND WE WILL TRY TO FIT YOU IN.***
Grand Rapids Civic Theatre is holding auditions for James & The Giant Peach and Newsies on Saturday, February 23rd & Sunday, February 24th. Auditions are open to the public. Both productions feature large ensemble casts with several principal and featured roles for men & women of all ethnicities (ages 15+), as well as a few roles for children (ages 10+).
- Actors may audition for one or both shows, and only need to sign up for ONE audition slot.
- Auditions are 30 minute slots by appointment – sign up below. Auditionees need to bring 16-32 bars of prepared sheet music (Broadway style) and be prepared to learn a short group dance combination.
- Please see attached character descriptions for recommended age ranges. Perusal scripts can be checked out with a $10 deposit at the Civic Theatre Box office M-F 10am-5pm.
- PLEASE FILL OUT THE ATTACHED CONFLICT SHEET AND BRING IT WITH YOU TO AUDITIONS. If you are interested in BOTH shows, please be sure to fill out the conflict calendar for BOTH shows and bring them with you. If you are only auditioning for one show, you only need to fill out the conflict calendar for THAT production.
- You may also bring a Headshot & Resume (not required). If you are auditioning for BOTH productions, please bring 2 copies of your Headshot & Resume.
- We recommend arriving 20 minutes prior to your audition time to ensure adequate time for parking and sign-in.
- For more detailed information about the process, please see the AUDITION GUIDE attached below.
Saturday, February 23rd from 11am-5pm
***NEWSIES Callbacks will be MONDAY, February 25th from 6-10pm***
JAMES & THE GIANT PEACH Callbacks will be Tuesday, February 26th from 6-10pm
Callbacks are by invitation only based on the needs of the individual productions.
***Please note this change to Newsies Callbacks from our original posting!***
JAMES & THE GIANT PEACH
Book by: Timothy Allen McDonald
Music & Lyrics: Benj Pasek and Justin Paul
Based on: Roald Dahl’s book James & the Giant Peach
Director/Choreographer: Jolene Frankey
Music Director: Scott Patrick Bell
Stage Manager: Rhonda Lehan
Roald Dahl’s beloved book comes to life in a rollicking musical featuring the Tony Award nominated team of Pasek and Paul (known for La La Land and The Greatest Showman). Forced to live with two cruel aunts after his parents’ death, James’ life takes another unexpected twist when he meets a mysterious man with a book of magic potions. After he accidentally spills his potion on a tree, it sprouts an enormous peach and launches James on the adventure of a lifetime where he meets fantastical creatures, fights epic battles, and redefines what it means to be a family.
Book: Harvey Fierstein
Music: Alan Menken
Lyrics: Jack Feldman
Based on: Disney film written by Bob Tzudiker and Noni White
Originally Produced By: Disney Theatrical Productions
Director: Allyson Paris
Stage Manager/Assistant Director: Kieran Smith
Music Director: Charles Hutchins
Choreographer: Erin Kacos Pott
Based on the real-life newsboy strike of 1899 and the 1992 Disney movie, Newsies follows a rag-tag band of teenage newsboys who go on strike against newspaper publishers to demand their rights. Along with the film favorites like “Carrying the Banner” and “Seize the Day”, the stage production introduces eight new songs by the original team of Menken and Feldman.
|| Allyson Paris