Tarrant County Volunteer Attorney Services
The Texas Supreme Court's Eviction Moratorium ends May 18, 2020. Legal Aid providers across Texas are anticipating a rise in eviction cases. Many of these cases will be filed against people who will qualify for free civil legal assistance for the first time. Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas (LANWT) and TVAS are partnering to gather attorneys in Tarrant County who are ready to meet this need in our community.
LANWT will complete the intake (including assessing for income eligibility and merit), then notify TVAS that a pro bono attorney is needed. Each pro bono attorney must complete a form for a LANWT background check (provided after signing up).
A few things to consider before volunteering:
- These cases have quick turnaround times. There may be 48- to 72-hours notice of a hearing once the case has made it through the application process.
- By signing up you are agreeing to be on a list of people that will be contacted -- you are not agreeing to take a case on the spot or rearrange your schedule. If you are the next person on the list and the client has a hearing that conflicts with your schedule, then we will move to the next attorney on the list.
- Eviction cases are normally straight forward, but mentors will be provided upon request at sign up.
- If you would like to serve as a mentor, click the appropriate box below.
- Many of these cases may not have a defense and the primary goal will be getting the client as much time as possible before moving out.
- Based on what happens at the hearing date an appeal may be warranted by either party. If it is in the client's best interest, LANWT may request you represent the client in the appeal. It is not required for you to handle the potential appeal, but it is strongly encouraged.
LANWT has prepared a free CLE webinar (TBD) in partnership with the TCBA for those who will be volunteering to help with these cases. You can sign up for the information below, or read more by clicking on the link LANDLORD TENANT BASICS IN A COVID 19 WORLD.
Thank you for volunteering!