Summer Institute 2021
A 3-Day Workshop for Math and Technology Teachers. Bootstrap:Algebra is a 25-hour curricular module for students ages 12-16, which teaches algebraic and geometric concepts through computer programming. This training is geared towards 6th-12th grade math teachers, and other teachers with an interest in integrating math and computer science in their classroom. No programming experience required!
What is Bootstrap Algebra?
Bootstrap:Algebra is an integrated curriculum that applies math concepts and programming principles towards creating a simple video game. Our materials are designed to align with National and State Standards for Mathematics, CSTA Standards, and K12CS frameworks.This series of modules can be taught as a separate, standalone STEM or CS class or can be integrated into a mainstream math class, delivered by a math teacher with little to no prior CS experience.
In Bootstrap, students explore…
- Order of Operations
- Solving word problems
- Coordinate planes and Graphing
- Functions and Variables
- Function Composition
- Inequalities in the Plane
- The Pythagorean Theorem
- Piecewise Functions
- Computer Programming
- Unit Testing
- Computer graphics and animation
In this Workshop, teachers will…
- Participate in a real, classroom demonstration of the curriculum
- Build a videogame, using pure algebra
- Learn how the Math Standards for algebra can be met through a unique programming curriculum
- Explore cutting-edge research on algebra education
- Be invited to join a cohort of Oregon Bootstrap:Algebra educators
- Will receive a stipend for their time
Participating Educators will:
- Receive acccess to Bootstrap:Algebra curriculum. Bootstrap:Algebra applies mathematical concepts and rigorous programming principles to creating a simple video game, and is aligned to National and State Standards for Mathematics, as well as the CSTA standards and K12CS frameworks. The module can be integrated into a mainstream math class, delivered by a math teacher with no prior CS experience or can be taught as a separate, standalone tech or CS class.
- Attend the 3-day professional development workshop: July 19-21, 2021
- Be invited to join a cohort of Oregon Bootstrap:Algebra educators.
- Cohort members will participate in regularly-scheduled, virtual professional development learning communities during the 2021-22 academic year designed to support curriculum implementation. (Note: Cohort members will determine the number of meeting opportunities).
- Receive compensation for 3-day professional development workshop and Oregon cohort participation. (Please note - the training is open to regional educators, but the compensation is only available for Malheur County educators through the Frontier STEM Hub)
- $200/day for summer PD workshop (July 19-21)
- $200 cohort session during the school year
Links to video information about Bootstrap: Algebra
Participant registration and educator stipends provided by the Frontier STEM Hub through grant funding from the Oregon Department of Education.
PARTICIPANTS PLEASE BRING:
- Laptop or Chromebook + charging cable
- Pen or pencil
Cost: FREE for Oregon Educators
Dates: Monday, 7/19/21 - Wednesday, 7/21/21 (Must attend all 3 Days)
Time: 8:30am - 3:30pm (Mountain)
Dorm Space Available at TVCC as well for those that would like to stay on the TVCC Campus During the 2021 Summer Institute
|| E. Oregon REN