St. Francis Meal Ministry
CHANGES DUE TO COVID-19 PANDEMIC: We are still unable to serve inside the shelter, but continue to deliver our meal each month. Your delicious hot meatloaf meal becomes even more important to the women of the Center, as it may be one of the only hot meals they receive all week. We will modify the amount of volunteer slots needed as we get updates on the number of guests currently at the shelter. We are so very grateful for your continued help, and look forward to being able to serve the meal and enjoy the fellowship again. Thank you so much for your support!!
The Helen Wright Center for Women has been providing warm food, genuine care and safe shelter from the weather and violence to single women without children in their care, for years. Guests of the center are offered an opportunity to break the cycle of homelessness and achieve self-sufficiency through intensive case management services.
We at St. Francis prepare and serve a delicious home-cooked meatloaf, baked potatoes, green beans and dessert dinner meal every 3rd Wednesday of the month. Won't you join us sometime by signing up below?
With your support, we prepare enough food for 66 meals, serve and also eat and visit with guests of the Center who thoroughly enjoy and appreciate every smile and every bite. It's a wonderful experience and visiting with people who find themselves in harm’s way is a beautiful and meaningful way to live the Gospel!
There are two difffernt seatings. The first at 7:00 pm and the other at 7:30 pm. If you sign up to serve you will be done by 8:30 pm. Thank you for any help you can provide!
The address of the Helen Wright Center for Women is 3603 Bastion Lane Raleigh 27604.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. We look forward to serving our sisters in need with you in the coming months. Thank you again for any help you can provide and for your dedication to this ministry. Kate Griffith, 919-623-3982 and Lisa Demuynck, 919-522-7900.
If you sign up to provide food, here are important Food Drop Off instructions:
- Please deliver your food between 5:45pm and 6:00pm to the Bank of America parking lot on the corner of Strickland and Creedmoor Rds. (8371 Creedmoor Rd Raleigh 27613) We meet in the single lane of parking spots beside the bank drive-thru tellers.
- You will be contacted by the Monthly Coordinator prior to your scheduled Wednesday. If you were to experience a last minute conflict (emergency, illness, etc.), please contact the Monthly Coordinator or make arrangements to get someone to cover your assignment.
CHANGES DUE TO COVID-19 PANDEMIC: Currently the monthly coordinator collects the food from the other volunteers and delivers it to the shelter only.
If you sign up to be the Monthly Coordinator, here are a few instructions:
- It is the Monthly Coordinator's responsibility to contact all people who are providing food before Wednesday, to collect the food (at BOA) and transport it to the Center, and to coordinate/serve the meal at the Center.
- Please contact everyone signed up by Sunday/Monday and make sure all is well.
- Please arrive at the BOA parking lot by 5:45pm to collect all the food, and stay until 6:00 pm (or until all the food arrives). Please bring a cooler to transport the ice. And then drive to the Center.
- Please bring a friend along with you to help you.
- You'll need to arrive at the Center by 6:30 pm. The Center staff will let you in.
- Once there, you will need to unload the food (they have a cart to help you) and then quickly heat the green beans. You'll also need to work with the other people signed up to serve, to set the tables, put ice in cups, cut the desserts, and plate and serve the meal to the guests.
CHANGES DUE TO COVID-19 PANDEMIC: We have suspended this volunteer opportunity, but will add it again as soon as we are able.
If you sign up to Serve the meal:
- Please arrive at the Center at 6:30 pm (you will be done by 8:30 pm). Share your smile while you help prepare the plates, serve in the dinning room, get drink and food refills, etc. The Monthly Coordinator will be at the Center to guide and help you.
- Families are always welcome to serve together!
Drop off food at the Bank Of America parking lot (Corner of Strickland and Creedmoor Rds..) If you signed up to Serve, meet at the Center at 6:30 pm.
|| St. Francis of Assisi