Pen Pals YYC
March 19, 2020 original premise: Letters will be forwarded to seniors' care facilities in Calgary AB via email where the care facilities will then print the letters and distribute. Many care facilities have colour printers. Languages will be added to the list below as facilities join the program, so keep checking back!
Please read all instructions below:
1. Sign up for any/many languages, it's up to you!
2. Write letters. Type letters electronically if you like. (Scan/take a photo of the handwritten letters.)
3. Email all letters to [email protected] in the subject line please list the language.
Very important: Large Print/large font, double spaced!
- Many people have vision challenges, make it easy for all of them.
- Font size: 16 or 20?
- If writing by hand, please consider using a sharpie or dark pen and double space. Otherwise dark pencil and paper? (mistakes are expected/ok and bring a smile to the face!)
- Written/printed by hand is more personal, especially from kids!
- Please, everyone, add drawings! Some people with Alzheimers' can't read or write anymore but still have the ability to enjoy and appreciate drawings and artwork.
- Ask all questions that come to mind...adults don't edit, anything goes! Awkward/unusual/socially unacceptable kid/cute questions make people laugh. Allow kids to be their authentic selves...please resist the temptation to edit.
- Feel free to speak of fears/worries, that is good and healthy and the folks in the care homes are super full of wisdom...some lived through similar times, many lived through worse hardships.
- **Perfect is NOT important...communication/connecting is.***
We will screen all letters (for safety), then we will forward the letters to the care facilities. Many residents reply.
Care facility stats as of March 25: 3 care facilities, 458 residents (Cedars Villa, The Manor Village SW, Colonel Belcher)
Forwarded letters stats as of March 25: 50+ letters sent to 3 facilities in 4 languages
Feedback: [email protected] (That's our admin account) Speak another language? Please email us and we'll add it to the list for future use!
FYI The Calgary Police Service (Jeremy Shaw) has been consulted prior to setting this program up, for advice on keeping folks safe.