Congregation Beth Emeth
CBE’s Annual Thanksgiving Food Drive is November 7-21, 2019, and supports Cornerstones, a local charity. This is a wonderful way for CBE families to help less fortunate families in our community have a full, healthy Thanksgiving Dinner. Helping the hungry is fundamental in Judaism. The Talmud states: "Providing charity for poor and hungry people weighs as heavily as all the other commandments of the Torah combined."
Please sign up below so we’ll know our commitments are covered, and then just drop off items in the synagogue lobby to make donating as easy as (pumpkin) pie. Once again we’re encouraging participants to donate a full meal in a box with a cover/lid; separate items that we can combine into meals are also appreciated. If you’d like a box for this purpose, just email [email protected]. If donating a complete dinner, feel free to add a personal touch by decorating the box and/or adding a small family games or crafts!
Gift cards, to be used by recipients to buy turkeys or other perishables, are also part of a complete meal or may be donated separately. Please DO NOT place gift cards in boxes; rather gift cards should be left (with your name on it) in the Social Action Committee mailbox in the front office.
A hearty Thanksgiving meal for a family includes:
• 3 cans assorted veggies (please no green beans)
• 2 cans fruit
• 1 bottle olive or canola cooking oil (~ 24 oz.)
• 1 box instant potatoes or macaroni and cheese or stuffing
• 1 box rice or a 2-5 lb. bag of rice
• 1 box biscuit or muffin mix
• 1 family size snack (pretzels, chips, nuts, etc.)
• 1 box of dessert mix
• 2 lb. bag of flour
• 2 lb. bag of sugar
• One $25 grocery store gift card (Giant/Safeway/Food Lion) for the purchase of a turkey/meat entrée or other perishables. please keep gift cards separate from food and bring them to the main office.
Collection Dates: Friday, Nov 7 through 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, Nov 21.
Donation receipts: are available in the CBE office. If you want one, please complete the form and leave a copy in the office to give to Cornerstones.
Questions? Please contact Jill Weisman at the contact link below.
9:00am - 6:00pm EST