SPOTS OPEN IN MAY AND JUNE!
SELECT THE MAY OR JUNE TAB (above) TO SIGN UP!
Sign up below to make sack lunches for Blanchet House! The lunches you make will be given to people who come to us in need of food. We also share with partner shelters. Thank you for your generous help!
Please do not sign up for just 1 sack lunch--if you are unable to select a number greater than 1, please email [email protected] for assistance.
STEP ONE: SCHEDULE & PLAN
- Choose a day and time from the calendar below and select from the drop-down menu (QUANTITY) how many lunches you plan to make. The quantity may be limited due to other sign-ups for that time slot. Sometimes quantity will be limited because we are already at our sack lunch quota for the day. Please choose another day.
- iPhone users - You may be limited to signing up for a maximum of 20 lunches because of a glitch that happens when using an iPhone. If you'd like to sign up for more than 20, simply sign up a second time.
- Firefox users - The quantity feature does not work in Firefox. Please use Safari, Chrome, or another browser.
- Download the how-to sheet at the bottom of this page for detailed instructions on how to assemble the sacks.
STEP TWO: SUPPLIES
Each brown bag should contain:
- A wrapped nut butter and jelly sandwich, or a deli sandwich (with or without condiments, etc.)
- A piece of fruit (Oranges or fruit/applesauce cup. Please provide a plastic utensil for cups.)
- Two store-purchased, single size snack foods (soft/chewy granola bars, chips, crackers, raisins, cookies, etc.)
No beverages, please. (We accept bottled water separately.)
Avoid hard, crunchy foods like whole apples, carrots, or hard granola bars as these can be difficult for our meal guests to eat.
STEP THREE: ASSEMBLY
- Clean your prep space carefully. Before handling food and materials, wash your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds and sanitize countertops and surfaces.
- If you'd like to decorate the sacks, please do! Our meal guests love the artwork and messages of hope.
- Write which type of sandwich you made on the outside of the bag. Example, "turkey & cheese" or "pb&j." This helps us when we're passing out the bags.
STEP FOUR: DELIVERY
- Bring your lunches to our downtown Portland location at 310 NW Glisan St. Knock on the Glisan St. entrance door. Someone will come to collect your donation.
- Please do not arrive after 10:30 AM or after 4 PM to deliver your sack lunches.
- Please limit your number of sack lunches to the quantity you signed up for. This helps us manage our cooler storage.
If anyone in your household is sick or has any symptoms of illness, please do not participate in this particular service project.
Liability Concerns? Donors who provide food in "good faith" are protected by both state and federal Good Samaritan laws. These laws were created to encourage needed food donations, reduce food waste, and protect food donors.
Questions? Email us at [email protected].
Share! We love to share photos or videos of you making sack lunches on our social media accounts. Tag us on Instagram or Facebook @blanchethouse Text photos or videos to 917-620-7627.