Golf Outing Volunteers
It is that time of year again! And we are looking for individuals to help us with a variety of tasks!
Please complete the following form to create a smoother check in on Volunteer day and take a moment to read the volunteer expectations.
** REMINDER- ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST BE OVER 21 ON THE DAY OF THE EVENT**
While the golf outing is a casual event, we still want to present a professional and organized image. Please consider this as you get ready to volunteer.
- Arrive clean and well-groomed.
- Be prepared to change into a blue H2O t-shirt during your shift. White or khaki shorts, pants, skirts, or capris are suggested. Please no jeans.
- Bring a hat, sunglasses, and sunblock if you are working outside.
- Wear comfortable shoes, but no flip flops please.
Arrive on time, and stay until your shift ends.
- Allow plenty of time to park, check in, and review your volunteer assignment before your shift starts.
- Stay until the next volunteer arrives to take your place. If you must leave before they arrive, notify the Volunteer Coordinator. (If you are working the last shift, stay until your shift ends or the Volunteer Coordinator releases you.)
- If you cannot make your shift, notify the Volunteer Coordinator as soon as possible via text so that we can plan accordingly.
Be positive and friendly!
- Smile and say, “Hello!”
- Make eye contact. (If indoors, remove sunglasses.)
- Avoid gossip and destructive criticism.
- Support the staff and other volunteers to the best of your ability.
- If you have a concern about the way something was handled, please discuss it with the Executive Director.
Give all of your attention to your role as a volunteer.
- Limit conversations with other volunteers during your shift so that you can focus on your role.
- Avoid using your cell phone. If you must take a call or send a text, inform a volunteer nearby, and step away so as not to be a distraction.
- Try to limit using the bathroom to before or after your shift or during a break.
- No drinking alcoholic beverages as long as you are wearing your H2O shirt.
Go beyond the call of duty!
- Look for ways to help even if something is not your “job.”
- If someone asks for directions, rather than simply pointing the way, walk them to their destination. If appropriate, also introduce them to someone at their destination, should they need further assistance.
- Last year we had several crashers (at a fundraiser for kids!!) so please be looking for people without bracelets and escort them to check in so we know they belong there.
- Please don’t ever take for granted what you think people “might” know. Be alert to people who look lost or confused, and approach them to ask if they need help.
- Familiarize yourself with the event and the day’s handouts. Our shirts identify us as volunteers. Therefore, we need to be able to direct people around the event and help them find what they need.
Your role at the Golf Outing and Dinner
- Read directions.
- Smile and have fun.
- Be flexible.
- Ask if you don’t understand.
- Know that it might be a series of busy times, followed by slow times.
- Be patient (Waiting for directions, being in place early for your job to “start”.)
- Return all your supplies at the end of the day.
- Be conservative with supplies and careful with equipment. (We are a non-profit after all and don’t have 'spares.')
- Every job today is important, no matter how small or dull it may seem.
- This is our MAIN fundraiser, so please help us make a great impression so people will come back next year.
- Fill out the survey after the event so we can learn and make our next event even smoother.
The event is the "16th Annual Golf Outing and 'Christmas in July' Gala Dinner.
This event is our MAIN fundraiser for the whole year and determines the level and amount of programming we can offer the following year.
If you are not familiar with what we do, please take a minute to review our website: www.Hearthavenoutreach.org.
In a nutshell, we provide free support and mentoring programing to middle and high school students in the area. We offer support groups, mentoring, tutoring, service projects, field trips, retreats, and character education. Our signature programming is our support groups, and we are unique because we offer free transportation to and from our programs. Our program runs almost the entire year. (We stop in July to do this fundraiser- our main source of revenue and in August to plan and train for the next year.) Staff create long term, caring relationships with students. We serve any high school student but specifically target the at risk population.
Info for the day of the event:
- We recommend you park on the side of the Bolingbrook Golf Course by the "Nest Restaurant".
- When you pull in to the golf club, it will be to the RIGHT.
- Volunteer check-in will be in the "Ladies Lounge" immediately to your left when you enter the main doors of the "Nest Restaurant"
- Please leave all valuables in your car.
DATE: 07/11/2019 (Thursday)
LOCATION: Bolingbrook Golf Course, 2001 Rodeo Drive, Bolingbrook, IL 60440
Maureen Fox -- 630.887.6678
Sandy Swinkunas --708.828.4878
Thank you again for all your help!! We look forward to seeing you all on Thursday, July 11th!
|| Heart Haven Outreach