This year, CHA Animal Shelter's "Tales for Tails" is going virtual!
CHA is unable to hold its annual summer reading program in the shelter this year, but adoptable dogs and cats would still love to hear your stories. Reading slots are now available for children 5 years old and higher!
*Please note, a parent or guardian over the age of 18 should follow the below steps to create a Zoom account. A parent/guardian must be present at the time of the scheduled Zoom reading appointment to assist each child reader.*
Here's how it works:
1. Sign up for a 25 minute long reading slot below.
2. A parent or guardian over the age of 18 must go to www.Zoom.com and click the orange button in the upper right corner that says "Sign up, It's free!". The parent/guardian can then follow all steps to create an account and download the Zoom app on their computer.
3. On the day of the appointment time, check your email address for an email containing the Zoom invite link.
4. At the time of the appointment, click the link to launch the Zoom app. Please note, you can click the link earlier than your appointment time but you will not be admitted into the video conference until your appointment time.
5. Upon clicking the link, Zoom will open on your computer. You can select if you want to share video (optional) and you will want to ensure that you are not on mute (make sure the microphone at the bottom left hand corner does not have a line through it).
6. You will be able to see a shelter volunteer. The shelter volunteer will position his/her laptop in front of animal(s) at the shelter and then your child can start reading!
7. After approximately 20 minutes of reading, the shelter volunteer will politely interupt and spend a few minutes thanking each child and then will disconnect Zoom.
***It is possible that we may need to change some aspects of the above procedure as the program begins and shelter staff will do their best to contact each participant with any changes or troubleshooting needs. Please email [email protected] with questions.***