Audition Dates: June 14 & 15 by appointment only
Callbacks: June 16 by invitation
Location: The DeSoto Theatre
Rehearsal Dates: June 21-August 29
Production Dates: August 20-29
About the show:
“Take a step back in time with the charming, smash Off-Broadway hit, The Marvelous Wonderettes! Join Betty Jean, Cindy Lou, Missy, and Suzy at the Springfield High School class of 1958 Super Senior Prom, as these four best friends navigate relationships, growing up, and following their dreams. In Act II, long after prom night has ended, the Wonderettes reunite a decade later for a special performance at Springfield High’s 10-year reunion. A lot has changed for the Wonderettes over 10 years, and now they must navigate their friendship as grown up women. Bonded forever over four-part harmony, the Wonderettes will win you over with their charm, friendship, and love for one another. Featuring all of your favourite hits of the 50’s and 60’s, The Marvelous Wonderettes is a nostalgia packed show that is sure to have audiences singing along from their seats.” ~StageAgent
Cindy Lou (18,28) knows she is the prettiest girl at Springfield High. She knows she will be named Prom Queen and acts out against her best friend Betty Jean when things don’t go her way. She makes the biggest change between Acts I & II, having learned the lessons of true love and loss. Vocal Range: Mezzo-Soprano Belt: E3–F5. Sings melody line on most songs, so the other girls hang their vocals on this voice. Among the songs she sings lead are: "Allegheny Moon," "Son of a Preacher Man," and "Maybe."
Missy (18,28) is the over-achiever of the group. Very controlled, very concerned that everything at the prom turns out wonderful and perfect. Head of the Prom Decorations Committee, and absolutely smitten with her music teacher. Her best friend is Suzy. Vocal Range: Soprano G3–A5. Wide range, floating high vocals and belting throughout the show. Among the songs she sings lead are: "Secret Love," "You Don’t Own Me," and "Wedding Bell Blues."
Betty Jean (18,28) is the class clown and tomboy, always vying for attention with Cindy Lou, her best friend. It’s also highly probable that Betty Jean wants to be with Cindy Lou herself, but just doesn’t even know what those feelings really are. Cindy Lou steals Betty Jean’s boyfriend away, which causes a lot of the friction at the prom. She holds this grudge against Cindy Lou until they make up at the ten-year reunion. Vocal Range: Alto with strong low range: D3–E5. Among the songs she sings lead are: "Lipstick on Your Collar," "I Only Want To Be With You," and "That’s When The Tears Start."
Suzy (18,28) is the gum-chewing, happy-go-lucky, go-along girl. Super-best friends with Missy, Suzy is always a little giddy and a little silly, and finds great pleasure in everything she does. In love with the lighting operator, completely surprised when named Prom Queen. Frustrated, sad, hormonal, and pregnant in Act II. This role requires an excellent part singer and expert comedienne. Vocal Range: Mezzo-Alto with both sweet and soulful voice G3–E5. Among the songs she sings lead are: "Stupid Cupid," "Hold Me, Thrill Me," and "Rescue Me."
- Auditions and callbacks, if necessary, will be held in the auditorium of the DeSoto Theatre by appointment only.
- Auditions will be CLOSED for safety and fairness. Only the casting committee and the actors who are auditioning will be allowed in the auditorium. Thanks for understanding.
- Actors will be seen in small groups for 45-minute slots, based on vocal parts. Do not arrive any earlier than ten minutes before your scheduled time. The audition host will direct you.
- Per CDC guidelines, masks are strongly encouraged for our guests who have not received the COVID-19 vaccination.
- Please prepare one of the vocal selections provided for you, based on your vocal range. An accompanist will be provided.
- Actors will be asked to perform their audition selection, and may be asked to work with the director to explore the material. Actors also may be asked to cold read.
- If you decide to cancel your audition, please notify us at [email protected] with at least 24 hours’ notice.
- A cast list will be posted on the website and social media by 5PM on Friday, June 18, with those who auditioned receiving an email before the cast list is made public.
- Rehearsals will be conducted in person.
What to Bring:
- A printed copy of your vocal selection. Vocal selection Mezzo-Soprano and Soprano Son of A Preacher Man. Mezzo-Alto and Alto Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me
- A calendar noting all weekend and evening conflicts between June 21-August 29 .
- Water, if desired.
RLT Safety Guidelines:
The safety and well-being of our volunteers and patrons is our priority. Per CDC guidelines, masks are strongly encouraged for our guests who have not received the COVID-19 vaccination. Our complete COVID-19 Safety Guidelines may be viewed HERE.
Rome Little Theatre is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Where specific casting demands are not indicated by the playwright, any performer is encouraged to audition for any role.
|| Rome Little Theatre