Saint Mark Gift of Peace
Delivery day is the first Thursday of the month!
For many years, dedicated ST MARK volunteers have delivered nutritious meals to Gift of Peace House in Washington DC to serve the needy in our own backyard. Now Embry Rucker, a 70 bed shelter in Reston that serves families and single adults, welcomes our help on the first Thursday of the month.
You will be cooking and delivering 16 servings of food to the ST MARK Activity Center kitchen. Use disposable pans or containers (we will have some for you to use) and label your contribution "Gift of Peace".
There are also volunteer opportunities available to you throughout the week at Embry Rucker Shelter. If you are interested in helping serve meals at the shelter, please contact Susan at 571-323-1383. You can also visit the Cornerstones webpage (formerly Reston Interfaith, the group that runs the Embry Rucker Shelter) to fill out their volunteer form, or read more about available volunteer opportunities.
- Bake Chicken using 2 leg pieces or ½ breast piece per person. Another way to do this is to quarter 4 roasted chickens.
- Cook 5 cups of dry rice in 10 cups of water.
- Cook separately 4 pounds of mixed cooked veggies.
- 8 Bananas, 8 oranges and 2 pounds of grapes
- 1 gallon of cranberry juice
- 1 gallon of apple juice
Canned and Dry Goods
- Canned fruit, vegetables, hearty soups, and/or tuna (6-8 cans total)
- Two bags of rice (any size)
All food donations must be in the ST MARK kitchen before 9:00 AM on the first Thursday of the month. The dates on the list below are the prior Wednesdays, but use your best judgment to have your donation in place and ready to go when it is needed.
Delivery: We need one person to deliver food to the shelter. Please pick up food from ST. MARK by 9:30 to deliver to the back door of the shelter by 10:00. The address is: 11975 Bowman Towne Drive, Reston, VA 20190. Phone:703-437-1975
|| St. Mark Gift of Peace