— Celebrating 5 years of volunteer-based service in Rutherford County, NC —
SIGN-UP & JOIN THE FIGHT
IN OUR PUBLIC SPACES
We provide the supplies, you volunteer two hours of your time – No moving trash, no prep work required. The bags will be picked up by local NCDOT or City Maintenance Departments.
OUR GOAL >> 800 people removing 12+ tons of trash from road sides, parks, trails & business parking lots.
HOW DO WE GET THERE >>
We need Team Leaders, dozens of them, to commit to communicate with us on behalf of your group (2+ is a group), pick-up & return supplies, as well as recruit others to be on your team. Sign up for the week you want to collect, and our administrator will be in touch for specifics.
We also need individuals to join formed teams. Give us your formal commitment here so theirs nothing to do besides show up day of! (If you don't see your Team, click here - we are happy to help!)
* If you sign up here, you are agreeing to the waiver below. Heavy duty NCDOT trash bags, gloves, and safety vests will be provided to pre-registered participants.*
By signing up online, you hereby agree to abide by the following waiver (adopted from the NC Dept of Transportation Adopt-a-Highway rules):
- Park in areas that: provide safe entrance and exit of the pickup area; do not create hazards with other vehicles and equipment operating near the work area; provide maximum protection for volunteers getting in and out of the vehicle.
- All volunteers must wear an NCDOT approved orange safety vest. It is a good practice to wear long-sleeve shirts, gloves and high-top boots to protect against unforeseen hazards.
- Take extra precautions to prevent heat and cold stress when working in extreme temperatures. Pick up only during daylight hours and stop work during inclement weather.
- Face oncoming traffic while on foot. Stay off the road at least five feet from the pavement edge.
- Do not pick up in ditches, tunnels, on road surfaces, bridges, overpasses or medians. Avoid any construction.
- Work in small groups, allowing ample space for each volunteer to work safely.
- Place tools in safe position so that sharp points are not exposed. Be aware of hidden obstructions that may have sharp edges and broken glass, especially in grassy areas.
- Do not attempt to squeeze bags to make room for more trash. Use caution when handling trash bags containing broken or sharp objects. Use proper lifting techniques when lifting bags.
- Do not pick up what appears to be hazardous material or any type of container with unknown contents (notify your Adopt-A-Highway coordinator or NCDOT maintenance office if you encounter hazardous objects or holes, guy wires and other hidden obstacles in the ground).
- Place trash bags where they can be easily retrieved by NCDOT personnel and well clear of roadway traffic.
- Do not use or possess illegal drugs or alcohol prior to or during a cleanup.
- Furnish adequate supervision by one or more adults 21 years of age or older for groups that have volunteers 12-17 years of age. All volunteers must be at least 12 years of age with adult supervision to participate.
- Know the routes to medical care in case of emergency and have an adequate first-aid kit immediately available.
- Conduct a safety meeting for all volunteers prior to each cleanup and go over all safety procedures, rules and guidelines. View the “North Carolina Adopt-A-Highway Safety” video and the “Colorado Meth Lab Waste Recognition” video prior to participating in a cleanup.
REMINDER: It is illegal to dispose of aluminum cans and plastic bottles in the landfills.
If you would like to sponsor the event, please click here
$100 cleans 1 mile of roadway on both sides.
Donations will count as a deduction on your taxes.