Congregation Or Chadash Social Action
The Or Chadash Social Action Committee is holding a PJ and Books Drive for at risk kids. After Yom Kippur and its Rise Up Against Hunger event, we will start collecting new sets of pajamas and new books appropriate to children the same age as the pajamas. We will then donate them to a wonderful organization (since 2001) called Pajama Program: Good Nights Are Good Days.
Details about the organization are at https://pajamaprogram.org/.
The Pajama Program directors have indicated that there is a particular need for pjs (and books) for older age groups: 6-12 years old and 13-18 years old. We hope to collect 50 sets of pajamas and books. Starting right after Yom Kippur, a bin will be placed in the lobby. Just place the pjs and books in it. Please be sure to put the PJs in a bag, so that the sets won't get separated.
If you would like to make a financial contribution to the PJ+Books drive, please mail or bring a check to the temple office made out to Congregation Or Chadash, and write “PJ Program donation” in the memo line or in an attached letter.
For the 6-12 age group:
Books by Mo Willems:
The Pigeon Books
- Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
- The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
- The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
- The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
- Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!
- The Pigeon Wants a Puppy! (I Really Do!)
- The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
- The Pigeon Needs a Bath! (I Do Not!)
- The Pigeon HAS to Go to School (Come On!)
Elephant & Piggie Series
- Today I Will Fly!
- My Friend is Sad
- There Is a Bird on Your Head!
- I Am Invited to a Party!
- I Love My New Toy!
- I Will Surprise my Friend!
- Are You Ready to Play Outside?
- Watch Me Throw the Ball!
- Elephants Cannot Dance!
- Pigs Make Me Sneeze!
- I Am Going!
- Can I Play Too?
- We Are in a Book!
- I Broke My Trunk!
- Should I Share My Ice Cream?
- Happy Pig Day!
- Listen to My Trumpet!
- Let's Go for a Drive!
- A Big Guy Took My Ball!
- I'm a Frog!
- My New Friend Is So Fun!
- Waiting Is Not Easy!
- I Will Take a Nap!
- I Really Like Slop!
- The Thank You Book
Books by Dav Pilkey
- Dog Man Series
- Captain Underpants Series
Books by Rachel Renee Russell
- Dork Diaries Series
Misadventures of Mac Crumbly Serie
For the 13-18 age group:
- Losing It by Erin Fry
- The Night Diary by Veera Hiranandani
- It Wasn’t Me by Dana Alison Levy
- Dear Evan Hansen by Val Emmich
- Orbiting Jupiter by Gary Schmidt
- When by Victoria Laurie
- Nikkie on the Line by Barbara Carroll Roberts
- King of the Bench by Steve Moore *This is a series, so any of these books are great and loved by boy readers
- Scream Site by Justina Ireland
- Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen McManus
- Swing by Kwame Alexander
- Ghost Boys by Jewell Parker Rhodes
- Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
- Garvey’s Choice by Nikki Grimes
- Empty by Suzanne Weyn
- One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus
- Rebound by Kwame Alexander
- Dear Martin by Nic Stone
- The Honest Truth by Dan Gemeinhart
- The Perfect Score by Rob Buyea
- The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas
- On the Come Up by Angie Thomas
- My Life as…(series) by Janet Tashjia *This series (4 books) is good for readers who struggle
- Wishtree by Katerine Applegate
- Solo by Kwame Alexander
- Booked by Kwame Alexander
- The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
- Same but Different by Holly Robinson Peete
- Ghost (a series) by Jason Reynolds
- Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
- OC Daniels by Wesley King
- Save Me a Seat by Sarah Weeks
- House Arrest #1 by K.A. Holt
- Knock Out #2 by K.A. Holt
- A Knight Divided by Jennifer Nielsen
- Salt to Sea by Ruta Sepetys
The organization has indicated that it will not accept activity, coloring, library, gently used, or “like new” books. Only new books and PJ sets will be accepted.
On Sunday October 27, at 12 noon, we will come together to count and sort the pjs and books and box them up to be brought to the drop-off location.
Please review the available slots and click on the button to sign up. We appreciate all of your help in reaching our goal for this special project.
|| Nancy Thorner