Learn about plants while helping the oldest horticultural society care for its beautiful gardens! Our volunteers work with horticulturalists to plant, prune, weed, mulch, rake, and water. Your help is vital to the success of the gardens. No experience necessary - we provide on-site orientation and training. It's a fun way to learn through service, meet new people and care for our environment.
Help us with fall clean up! Fall cleanup is always done with the goal of putting gardens to bed in the healthiest way possible with an eye on how they will wake up in the spring. During every project, we discuss how certain tasks will affect the garden through the winter and into the spring. We will also be rearranging some of the gardens - digging up, dividing, and then replanting a lot of plants - which means volunteers may even be able to take some of those plants home! Lastly, we do a lot of heavy work (such as tree pruning) and volunteers are welcome to observe and learn. There is a LOT to learn from working with us through the fall to help put the gardens to bed!
So, how can you help?
1. Sign up for a shift below. Please scroll through the whole sign up to see the various garden shifts. You will receive email reminders and notifications about your shift. As a courtesy to staff and others that may wish to sign up, please notify us (through Sign Up Genius or by phone) of any cancellations 24 hours prior to your shift.
2. Complete the Application and Release Form attached below and return it to [email protected] or bring it with you on your volunteer day.
3. Bring plenty of water, a hat, sunscreen, gardening gloves, and trowel. Wear closed-toe, sturdy shoes and comfortable clothes appropriate for the weather. If you have/need a kneeling pad, please feel free to bring it. We will provide tools.
4. Please enter through the Visitor Center, tell the attendant you are a volunteer and/or proceed to your assigned garden to meet our staff or garden steward. Attached are directions to the gardens and a garden map.
5. Have fun! Thank you for beautifying the gardens and for donating your time to support our mission!
If you have any questions, please contact Amy Rodrigues, Volunteer Engagement Manager, at [email protected] or 617-933-4934 or 781-408-9174 (cell).
Seed to Table Vegetable Garden
|| Amy Rodrigues