St Peter Parish
Welcome and congratulations on the birth of your child. In anticipation of celebrating the Sacrament of Baptism for your child at St. Peter Catholic Church, here is some helpful information.
This is what the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) says about the Sacrament of Baptism:
Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life. It is the gateway to life in the Spirit and the “door” which gives access to the other Sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons and daughters of God; we become members of the Body of Christ, and are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission. (CCC 1213)
To have my child baptized at St. Peter Catholic Church
- Parents are to be registered members of St. Peter Parish
- Parents and godparents are to attend a preparation class prior to the baptism
- A godparent is:
- Neither the father nor mother of the one to be baptized
- At least sixteen years of age
- A fully initiated member of the Catholic Church (Baptism, Confirmation, & Eucharist)
- A registered member in their parish, regularly practicing their faith, and participating in the Sacramental life of the Church. If married, the marriage was witnessed by a Catholic priest or deacon.
- Only one godparent is required, male or female; but there may be two, one of each sex.
- Along with a godparent, a baptized Christian in good standing with their church may serve as a Christian Witness.
When and where are the Baptismal Preparation Classed offered?
- Classes are offered on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m., lasting about an hour.
- Classes are presented in the Adult Faith Room, located in the 1924 Building, off of Jackson Street.
- You are welcome to bring your child to class.
What documents need to be completed prior to the baptism at least one week before the baptism?
- A St. Peter Parish Baptismal Registration Form (one for each child to be baptized)
- A copy of the child’s birth certificate.
- If the parents are not registered members of St. Peter Parish, a Letter of Permission from their proper pastor is required. (That is a letter from the parish in which you are registered; or, the parish in whose boundaries you reside.)
- If the godparent(s) is not a registered member of St. Peter Parish, a letter of good standing is required from their proper pastor.
Forms are available from the Parish Office by calling 636-946-6641, ext. 1
When is the Sacrament of Baptism Celebrated at St. Peter Catholic Church?
- Baptisms are normally scheduled on the third Sunday of the month, immediately following the 11:00 a.m. Mass (approximately 12 noon).
- There may be several children baptized that day. Each child is baptized separately, with all the proper ceremonies supplied.
- An infant baptism can be scheduled during a Sunday Mass. This will be scheduled through the Parish Office with the pastor.
- While a white baptismal garment for the child is typical, it is not required.
Should you need additional information, please contact Deacon Larry at 636-946-6641, ext. 212.
Adult Faith Room
|| St Peter Catholic Church St Charles