Burr School PTO
Announcing the 2020 Burr STEAM Fair! Not just STEM. A for Art, because of the importance of creativity in the STEM fields. STEAM is the new STEM! Open to all Burr students!
New this year - The Newton Ligerbots will join us for a Robotics demonstration!
Also open to parents who are in a STEAM field - if you are and you'd like to do a demonstration, please sign up.
Please sign up and add a project idea if available - project idea not required, and duplicate projects are fine, this is just to get an idea for spacing.
Date and Time: Friday, February 28th, 2020, from 6:30-8pm, setup at 6pm.
Location: Burr Cafetorium
STEAM FAIR Guidelines:
· Kid-quality projects only. Parent support is great (and may be necessary for younger students), but let the students take the lead.
· Students can work alone or in teams. Team members can be in different grades.
· Projects can be inventions (a new gadget to solve a problem), displays (show off something cool you know) or question-hypothesis-experiment-conclusion investigations (guess how something works, try it out and see what happens).
· Experiments that need to be done over multiple days are ok. Do them at home, take photos along the way and show off your results at Science Day!
· Each project should fit on a 2’ x 3’ table space and have a kid-quality poster explaining what you did and the science behind it. You can use words, drawings or photos. Do not get hung up on the quality of the poster. Short and simple is best – it will help you explain your project to the other students!
· Be sure to include your name(s) and grade(s) on your poster.
· Projects do not have to work perfectly. It’s the idea that counts.
· Electrical outlets are limited, and not guaranteed. Let us know right away if your project will need electricity.
· Safety is key! Please make sure that your project is safe. We need to ensure the safety of the gym floor too – please ensure all materials are non-toxic, non-staining and non-corrosive. No dry ice is permitted. Nothing explosive please!
· Students are encouraged to be creative and use common household and upcycled materials. Batteries are allowed, but gas, propane and latex is not allowed. Food may be part of the project (no nuts, please!).
· The gadget or experiment may not be harmful to any living thing. Projects that appear unsafe will be asked to be removed.
· Project set-up time will be 6-6:30pm, official fair from 6:30-8pm.
6:30pm - 8:00pm EST
Burr School Cafetorium
||Burr School PTO