Family Promise Volunteers
Hello Hands and Feet of Christ,
We are blessed to serve Family Promise guests at FUMCNB. We have the opportunity to live out our faith right in our own home town.Consider stepping out of your ordinary routine and giving of your time fore these families in need. Our current rotation is September 29-October 5th.
Here are our guidelines:
Please read these carefully. No spaghetti or pizza please.The guests get an overabundance of pasta dishes at other churches. Please look at the other meals and do not duplicate meals from night to night. Please be considerate if we ask that a meal be changed if needed. YOU MUST INDICATE WHAT YOUR MEAL IS WHEN SIGNING UP, PLEASE NO TBA. THANK YOU
1. Decide who will be involved in cooking the meal. Plan your meal.
2. Keep in mind that meals are what you would cook for dinner on a typical night and don't have to be "special" meals but something you would be proud to serve a guest in your own home.
We ask that you include some veggies/salad. Note that there will also always be children at the table. With that in mind, we cannot make everyone happy, and there will always be PB&J/grilled cheese to help for the picky eaters. Dessert is optional, please do not feel that we need it every night. I think that a couple of times per week is fine. Please prepare food portions for our guest families, yourself, and two overnight chaperones (which may or may not come and eat with the group, but are invited.)
3. Sign up your group or yourself. Please be considerate if asked to change a meal due to allergies or dietary restrictions. We will get our family profiles the Thursday before arrival, and we'll share this info. Please note what your meal is when signing up. Our program allows for no more than 14 guests, but the numbers vary for each host week. Please make sure that you take the time to eat with our families. Fellowship is as important as the food you are providing!
4. We plan to serve dinner at 6:30 each night, if a family is elsewhere due to after school activities, please put food aside for them just as you would at home. Include family members in any prep before dinner, and clean up (everyone lends a hand, even kids.) We will be setting tables with tablecloths and "real" dishes. We want to make our church as much like a home as possible. I will make sure we have tables and tablecloths/dishes available for use. Please try to have family members wash/dry and put away dishes. If table cloths are dirty please change them for the next day. Remember to let families serve themselves and their kids. Do not stand behind the counter and serve. We want the families to be able to serve what and how much they want.
Please be sure to make an ample serving of food so that if someone wants seconds we have them. Left overs can be used by the families for lunch the next day. Please be prepared to leave leftovers for our guests.
5. Please note that the time slots on the sign up are for serving and clean up time, you will need to allow for any prep time if you are cooking at church. Feel free to cook at home, or in our kitchen. The families will return to the church from the Day Center at approximately 5:15-5:30pm and will be available to help.
6. After dinner food volunteers and the families will need to clean up, prepare sack lunches for kids, and box up leftovers for adult lunches or sack lunch.
7. If you have questions please feel free to contact me at 830-515-7677 (call or text).
8. Please remember that we know many of you want to help out, if you are unable to this time or sign up fills up, you can volunteer the next time (in 13weeks!) We will be getting this chance 4-5 times a year! Also note that there are other volunteer opportunities such as being a overnight host. Keep an eye out for that sign up also. Dan Collins is coordinating overnight hosts if you have questions.
As always if you are unsure or need guidance, we are here to help! Ask questions and enjoy.
|| Amanda Collins