United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg
United Way is starting August with its annual Literacy Kit Kick-Off during tax free weekend! This volunteer effort kicks off the start of another year of our Literacy Kit initiative, in support of young learners in our region being prepared for kindergarten and reading on grade-level by third grade.
Each United Way Literacy Kit includes school supplies, an age-appropriate book, and information for parents to empower families around school readiness and literacy. United Way will distribute at least 1,500 kits to rising kindergarteners and their families on Kindergarten Registration Day as well as hundreds more kits during the school year to elementary students at partnering schools and programs.
At the Kick-Off, all volunteers will help collect, sort, and count donated school supplies at partnering Walmart locations. With the help of volunteers at this event, United Way will raise awareness of the importance of early literacy and continue the effort to ensure all kindergarteners are ready for school.
Each Walmart location will be supported by two lead volunteers and a group of general volunteers. As a lead volunteer, you can expect to:
- attend a short training in-person or via conference call with United Way in July (details TBD) to meet other leads and be equipped to volunteer as a site leader.
- (AM shift only) pick up supplies at United Way's office (2001 Maywill Street, Suite 201, Richmond, VA 23230), such as a table, empty boxes, flyers, etc.; and set up volunteer area at your Walmart location.
- welcome, provide instructions to, and supervise general volunteers on-site.
- along with the help of other volunteers, pack up all supplies; and transport the donated supplies back to the United Way office in your own vehicle.
- Volunteers will spend much of the time outdoors, near the entrance of Walmart.
- Times on-site for lead volunteers may vary slightly, depending on the distance to the Walmart, but the total commitment day-of should not exceed the listed hours.
We rely on lead and general volunteer support, and we hope that you'll join us as we kick off another year of Literacy Kits!
|| Allie Sullivan