Diamond State Pickleball Club operates a player development program for its members who are looking to improve their pickleball skills. Whether you are new to the game or a skilled player, you will find a training activity and a schedule to fit your needs.
"Introduction to pickleball" classes are held monthly for new-to-the-game players. A "Quick-Start" clinic which focuses on game fundamentals is a good "next-step" for players who have completed the introduction class. Other "skills & Drills clinics focus on specfic game elements.
Some area locations have dedicated "rookie" courts for new players to gain "on-court" playing experience. HCRC/PAL gym avaialble for walk-in practice during operating hours (m-f 8:30-1:30)
"Skills & Drills" clinics are designed for experienced players wishing to perfect a particular skill or game strategy. Volunteer instructors from the membership lend their support in conducting clinics. Fees collected go to support the DSP club and this training program.
Click on the link below and locate the training activity you wish to signup for. Training aids are availalble for download at the end of this program description.
Questions? Contact DSPC Player Development Program Director- Harold Holeman text 302-598-6123
- PB101A- Introduction to pickleball (1 hr - HCRC)- FREE - Beginners with no or little racquet sport background. Open to prospective DSP Club members. See clinic calendar for scheduled dates.
Player Development Programs - (non-members pay an additional fee)
- PB102- "Quick-Start" clinic: (2 1/2hr -HCRC) ($15 members)($5 surcharge non -members) PB Orientation class is a perequisite
- return-of serve
- third shot
- net play
- Fitness programs:($TBD)
- PT101 warm-up/ cool-down routine (15 minute)
- PT102 balance and agility (15minutes)
- PT103 strength (15 minutes)
- PB103 Targeted "skills & drills" session: (1 1/2hr) ($10 members)
- PB103A - "serve and return"
- PB103B - "first three shots"
- PB103C,1-4 - the "net game" (four-part series)
- PB103D - lobs/overheads - offense & defense
- PB103E - Playing with a partner (who's shot is it?)
- PB104 - Instructors choice (TBA)
- PB105- Stepping-Up Performance (eliminate mistakes)
- Special Clinics & Classes:
- "Clinics by Marcy":Skills training by "nationally recognized professionals" (1 1/2hr). Schedules announced two weeks in advance
- "Practice with Bradley": Supervised pracice sessions. (30 minutes)
- "Warm up with Yolanda" : Pre-game warm up exercises (15 minutes)
- Pickleball Training Camps: multiple "skills & drills" learning modules (3-4 hrs-$TBD)
- Tournament Preparation (TBD)
- Private lessons - (1 1/2 hrs)
- Tech nical Skill and USAPA rating assessments - (45 mn) (FREE for DSPC members / $7 non-members
- Referee/ court monitor Training - (2hrs)
- Hockessin PAL Center (HCRC) - 7259 Lancaster Pike, Hockessin, DE 19707 (indoor)
- Deacons Walk Park (DWP)- 45 Ware Road, Newark DE 19711 (outdoor)
- Mid-County Senior Center (MCSC)- 1 Regiment Road, Wilmington, DE (indoor)
Affiliated & Commissioned Classes & Clinics:
- Fraim Center for Active Adults
- Hockessin Recreation Center
- Mid-County Senior Center
- Clinic Schedule: - Rolling eight-week schedule posted on calendar
IPTPA trained Instuctors: Chuck Hanavin, John Merritt, Bradley Bebensee, Marybeth Holder, Skip Bradley, Harold Holeman
Clinic/Camp Facilitators: Jeannie Maul, Al Sowden, Ken Kochanski, Scott Blackburn, Gary Moses, Beth Hyland, Nina Chen,
Clinic facilitators are welcome! If you have been taken off the court due to an injury, this is a great way to stay in touch with the game while you rehab. Please contact Harold at 302-598-6123 to help with a clinic.