U.S. Para Swimming
This course will be presented in-person and is offered by U.S. Para Swimming.
Peggy Ewald, Education and Coach Consultant for U.S. Paralympics Swimming will be conducting this new course as a blended certification course to include in person experiences with classroom, pool deck, and video experiences as part of the instruction.
There are pre-requisities required to register and a final assessment at the end of the course to be certified. A certificate will be provided via email upon successful completion of the course and submission of all course requirements.
Level 1 curriculum is a foundational level of para specific governance and knowledge for candidates to fulfill a minimum level of para-swimming education. Level 1 Coach certification parallels to the swimmer PSDM (Para Swimming Development Model) level of Foundations 1 & 2. The course takes approximately 3 hours to complete and is divided into six (6) parts.
Part 1: Governance and the basics of para swimming
- Introduction to USOPC, Para Swimming Develop Model, and the Coach Certification Program and the parallel development levels
- The International Process of World Para Swimming classification & technical rules
- Competitions levels and standards for meet entries
- Disqualifications & protests
- Effective communications & advocacy
Part 2: Coaching and practice skill development in and out of the pool
Part 3: Stroke & technical development for a Para-Swimmer
Part 4: The Basics of physiology of endurance training for a para-swimmer
Part 5: Optimizing performance
- The basics of race analysis & strategies
- Facilitating an independent, responsible and self-reliant athlete
Part 6: Certification assessment and experiential learning completion
- Experiential activities if available
You must register via this Signup Genius registration process. All registrants must sign up individually. Please be sure to fill out all fields in the sign up registration form. Please be sure to provide a valid email address to ensure receipt of important information. Follow the payment link.
Level 1 Coach Certification: Wednesday, September 7, 2022, 9:00 - 12:15pm
Instructor: Peggy Ewald, MEd, BA
Location: ASCA World Clinic, Las Vegas, NV
Classroom TBA check the ASCA schedule
The presentation content in it's entirety is the intellectual property and for the sole use of U.S. Para Swimming. The course will not be recorded.
The course cost is $100.00 US dollars. Your registration is not complete until you make payment through the link under the Coach Certification Course link at the website below.
- Current Swimming Resume (email a pdf copy to [email protected])
- Current USA Swimming or other organized swimming annual coach membership in good standing (email a pdf copy to [email protected])
- Current CPR, AED, and First Aid Certification
- Safe Sport Training (annual training is complimentary)
- Current Clear NCSI Background Check
- Concussion Protocol Training
- Current USADA CAT
- Any paperwork needed to access the campus of the USOPC Training Center grounds.
- Minimum of 1-year experience in a recognized organized competitive swimming arena working with a diverse group of swimmers
- Attend the Virtual offering of the Introduction & Orientation to Para Swimming Clinic and the Coaching a Para Swimmer Clinic July 11th or TBA date closer to the ASCA convention. A signup link will be emailed to you if you register for this course. If you have attended one of these virtual session is the calendar year of 2022, you do not need to attend the pre-req again to attend the certification course.
Coach Experiential Learning:
- Previous involvement as an athlete, coach, or volunteer in an organized swimming arena working in any capacity.
You will receive a personal email from Peggy Ewald regarding additional pre-requisites needed from the above list to attend the course.
For more information on para-swimming, visit:
Payment is located here https://usoc.tfaforms.net/324
Or on the website at https://www.teamusa.org/usparaswimming/camps-clinics-coaching-certificationhttps://usoc.tfaforms.net/324 under coach certification.
9:00am - 12:15pm MDT
ASCA World Clinic Convention, Las Vegas, NV