Napa Valley CanDo
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Changes due to COVID-19.
- The current location for the Napa Farmers Market is the City of Napa parking lot located at 1100 West Street in downtown Napa (intersection of Pearl and Yajome). This is the old Cinedome location, overlooking the Oxbow Commons. The market is open from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- The Farmers Market is following direction from Napa County Public Health and will provide updates via social media and email if the situation changes. You can also get updates directly at the Napa Farmers Market Website: https://napafarmersmarket.org/
- The Farmers Market team has put stringent measures in place to keep everyone safe. When you arrive, tell the staff at the FM Information Table that you're volunteering with Napa Valley CanDo. Meet the other volunteers at the main FM entrance, at Pearl near Yajome.
- Please wear a mask and closed-toe shoes.
- We'll practice social distancing, of course, and provide hand sanitizer and gloves.
NAPA VALLEY CanDo's FOOD RESCUE TEAM
WHAT WE DO
Every Saturday year-round, Napa Valley CanDo's Food Rescue Team volunteers collect produce that might otherwise go to waste. This is donated by our generous Farmers Market vendors. The "rescued" food goes to the Napa Food Bank and to other local entities that help ease food insecurity in Napa County.
HOW IT WORKS
11:15 Meet up at the main FM entrance, at Pearl across from Yajome. Look for other Food Rescue Team volunteers wearing bright yellow safety vests with the CanDo logo on the back.
11:30 Distribute bins to participating vendors.
11:50ish Start collecting full bins, sort and weigh them. Dave Busby, of Feeding It Forward, arrives with his van.
12:00ish We transfer the donations to Dave's van. He takes everything to various food-distribution points throughout the valley: the Food Bank, the homeless shelter, farmworker housing sites, and more.
WHAT YOU NEED
During the summer, bring a resuable water bottle and a hat. It can be hot.
Please wear shoes with closed toes.
HOW TO SIGN UP
Scroll down and choose an empty slot on the Saturday of your choice, year-round.
Follow the instructions to sign up.
You'll receive a reminder from SignUp Genius, and one from us, the week before the date you chose.
To delete your signup, position your cursor over your name. Then click the green X in the black box that appears.
The Lead Volunteer slot is for those who are experienced and are comfortable doing this job on their own or with new volunteers. If you are new, just choose a regular "Volunteer" slot.
During the busiest months, there is a slot that is for an experienced volunteer who arrives at 11:45 just to help with the pickup, sorting, and weighing.
There are times when the full bins are very heavy. Please let us know if you can't do this heavy lifting; there are other ways you can help!
1100 West St, Napa, CA 94559 (Pearl St. entrance)