Napa Valley CanDo
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Changes due to COVID-19.
- The current location for the Napa Farmers Market is the City of Napa parking lot located at 1100 West Street in downtown Napa. This is the old Cinedome location, overlooking the Oxbow Commons. The market is open from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- The Farmers Market is following direction from Napa County Public Health and will provide updates via social media and email if the situation changes. You can also get updates directly at the Napa Farmers Market Website: https://napafarmersmarket.org/
- The Farmers Market team has put stringent measures in place to keep everyone safe. When you arrive, tell the staff at the FM Information Table that you're volunteering with Napa Valley CanDo. Meet the other volunteers at the main FM entrance, at Pearl near Yajome.
- Please wear a mask and closed-toe shoes.
- We'll practice social distancing, of course, and provide hand sanitizer and gloves.
NAPA VALLEY CanDo's FOOD RESCUE TEAM
WHAT WE DO
Every Saturday year-round, Napa Valley CanDo's Food Rescue Team volunteers collect produce that might otherwise go to waste. This is donated by generous Farmers Market vendors. The "rescued" food goes to the Napa Food Bank and to a local Chef who prepares meals for the South Napa Homeless Shelter.
HOW IT WORKS
11:15 Meet up at the main FM entrance, at Pearl near Yajome. Look for other Food Rescue Team volunteers wearing bright yellow safety vests with the CanDo logo on the back.
11:30 Distribute bins to participating vendors.
11:50ish Start collecting full bins, sort them out and load them in our cars.
12:15ish Use our scale to weigh the donations that go to Chef Ken, and record on the clipboard (no need to weigh the food that goes to the Food Bank, as they weigh it there.) One vounteer takes this food directly to Chef Ken at La Toque Restaurant, just a few minutes drive from the market. Other volunteers drive the rest of the full bins to the Food Bank warehouse, where Rick Nichols meets us, unloads and weighs it all. By 1:00 or so, you're done and on your way home.
WHAT YOU NEED
During the summer, bring a resuable water bottle and a hat. It can be hot.
Please wear shoes with closed toes.
HOW TO SIGN UP
Scroll down and choose an empty slot on the Saturday of your choice, year-round.
Follow the instructions to sign up.
You'll receive a reminder from SignUp Genius, and one from us, the week before the date you chose.
To delete your signup, just click the green X that's in the black box beneath your name.
IMPORTANT: The Lead Volunteer slot is for those who are experienced and are comfortable doing this job on their own or with new volunteers. If you are new, just choose a "Volunteer" slot.
The fourth slot is for an experienced volunteer, who arrives at 11:45 just to help with the pickup, sorting, and weighing.
Napa EXPO 575 3rd St Napa, CA