Backpacks For The Street
Welcome to Backpacks For The Street (BFTS) volunteer registration. We operate by the mantra that a person's circumstances does not diminish their value as a human being or make them any less deserving of kindness and compassion. Something as simple as a backpack can give a person a boost of hope and show them, they are not alone.
Our next program is November 10th - 15th, when we will put together, and giving out, 300 backpacks to the homeless. The following volunteer opportunities are available:
- November 10th: Loading and Unloading. Help is needed to load our inventory located in storage in Jamaica, in a U-haul, and assist unloading it at our command central in Chelsea. We will cover the cost of the LIRR or subway to and from the facility.
- November 10th and 11th: Packing and Assembling. Volunteers are needed to put together the packs. This is a lot of fun, and an important part of our program.
- Youths are welcome. However, anyone under 16 must be accompanied by an adult or get approval from our BFTS directors prior to signing up.
- November 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th: Giving Out Backpacks. Volunteers are needed to go out with the team and hand out the backpacks. You should be comfortable working with others, as we go out in teams of three or four, as well as interacting with the homeless. We encourage our teams members to spend time talking to the people we help, and to do so with compassion and respect.
- Volunteers are required to attend a 30 minute orientation before their shift. This helps us maintain a safe environment for everyone.
- Volunteers must be over 18.
All volunteers will need to download and sign the BFTS Rule of Conduct, and the BFTS Liability and Release forms.
Have questions? Please email: [email protected]
|| Backpacks For The Street - November, 2018