Grace Lutheran School
Grace Giving Garden Summer Volunteers Needed
Thank you so much for helping to take care of the Grace Giving Garden! This garden is a mission of the 4th Grade Class at Grace Lutheran to help provide people in need with fresh fruits and vegetables, and hopefully learn a little gardening life-skills along the way!
We ask that volunteers sign up for a week (or more!) each summer. During the week you are signed up we ask that you do the following tasks:
- Weed the beds. It's not much, usually just a small weed here and there, but if we each nip them every week, we'll continue to have a weed-free space without chemicals and we'll leave the bed in excellent condition for the new 4th Grade Class in the Fall of 2020.
- Make sure the water is working. Our beds are on dripline irrigation, but occasionally they become clogged by our hard water. Visiually inspect the area for wilting or dead plants and please let either Lindy or Liz know so one of us can come fix it. If things look wilted, please handwater with the provided hose.
- Check for pests - are plants getting chomped? Let Liz know if you can't find the critter - she can come take care of it.
- Harvesting! In particular, the month of July and August we have veggies almost every day. If it's your week, you'll need to visit at least twice to make sure there aren't any giant baseball-bat sized zucchini waiting in the bed for the next family.
- Lastly, and most important: Donating the produce! We choose to donate to the Midvale, Ut Food Pantry location. The donation drop off is located inside the Salt Lake County Copperview Recreation Center at 8446 Harrison St, Midvale, UT 84047. Hours for donation are a little odd - please be aware that they're not always open and plan your delivery accordingly: Mon-Thurs 9:00-11:00 & 1:00-3:00. Closed Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Produce should be donated the day it is picked. If that's not feasible, please make sure it is stored somewhere cool while it waits for delivery.
Again, thank you so much for your willingness to help with our Garden. A booklet of the plants in the garden, and what they should look like when ready for harvest, and HOW to harvest will be inside the greenhouse. If you have additional questions or concerns throughout the summer, or are unable to make your week of volunteering, please contact one of the following people so we can make sure the garden is well tended:
Lindy Carlton: (801) 243-4227
Liz Hamilton: (801) 664-8077
Stacie Jorgensen: (801) 739-5550
Cindy Sinclair: (801) 651-7649