Hello Highland Youth Families!
Meals are an important part of UMYF and Highland's youth really look forward to them! We require that all families with an active youth in UMYF provide one meal per semester. There are two volunteers for each meal, so please provide your contact information when you sign up and coordinate with your partner. For those that pull double duty as a parent and a UMYF leader, try to sign up with a family that may be able to stay and do the clean up so you can be free to participate with the youth once the meal is served.
We will continue with the meal categories from the fall since they seemed to be well liked. Try to plan a meal that fits the category so we can offer a greater variety to our youth. Please provide a main dish, a side dish, and dessert and beverage. You should provide enough to feed 35 youth and adults(check back to these instructions prior to preparing your meal...I may update the number once we see how many are regularly attending each week.) Dinner should be ready to serve at 5pm. Paper products, utensils, and drink mixes (tea and lemonade) are in the kitchen for you to use. Plan on staying (have a seat and eat with the youth if you would like!) until everyone is done eating to clean up. All Highland utensils, serving and cooking dishes should be washed and put away. Wipe down the tables and chairs and take out the trash. Take all leftovers home with you. Our goal is to leave the kitchen and Bradley Hall as we found it!
We do have some youth with dietary restrictions. Please provide one dairy free/ gluten free option of plain fruit/vegetable so all the youth can at least have a small serving at dinner. You do not have to bring a separate meal item but, for example if you are serving salad with your meal, have the cheese and meat items on the side. When deciding on how much food to bring, just keep in mind that they usually have less than 30 minutes to eat. Some will come for seconds so if you bring a little extra that would be great, but for the most part they are happy with one nice size serving. The meal rotations with suggestions and approximate amounts include:
- Mexican Night: Taco bar, nacho bar, or enchiladas (2 tacos or one serving per youth)
- Pasta Night: Spaghetti, pasta casseroles, lasagna (1serving per youth)
- Sub Night: Make your own subs or preorder from a sub shop with an assortmanet for the kids to choose from (one sub or serving per youth)
- Soup and sandwich Night: Chicken noodle, vegetable, or potato soup with half sandwich(one bowl of soup and one half sanwich per youth)
- Chicken Night: Fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, chicken casserole (2 pieces of chicken or one serving per youth)
- Pizza Night: 2 slices per youth
- Chef's Night: Have a specialty? Bring what you think the youth group would like!
Popular side dishes include: fruit salad, green salad, veggie tray and dip, and chips and salsa
And don't forget dessert! Cookies, popsicles and ice cream bar are all big hits!
Thank you for your help in feeding our hungry UMYF! If I can help in any way, please let me know!
|| Chris Richards